DG wheels for a 68 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 18, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

DG wheels for a 68 camaro

Hi everyone have a problem finding correct wheels for my 68 camaro ss rs bb. My car was built Sept, 3 week 1967. Here is the problem, I have a wheel which shows DG only on the exterior of the wheel and the tire side shows 14X6 JJ showing 2 stamps for Kelsey manufacturer, there is an 11 mark and maybe an 8 that is it. Will this wheel be the correct one. The set back is 4 1/2". From that description can someone tell me if the wheel is correct. If it is I will start to look for the other 4. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 18, 08:55 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Re: DG wheels for a 68 camaro

On the CRG site it shows that DG was a 67 wheel and XG was the 68 wheel. Of the 67 wheels I've seen with date stamps, the code was two (not aligned) stamps - a two digit year, and then a month i.e. 67 and then a separate 2 for February 1967 batch. The stamp is usually on the inside surface near the 14X6JJ stamp. I've not yet run across a DG Camaro wheel with a year 66 stamp.
Camaro Chassis - Suspension, Axle, Brakes, & Wheels

I've no idea if your early 68 might have had wheels left over from the 67 model year, or if all 68s used the XG code for non Z disc brake rally wheels. But seems your observation of an 11 and maybe and 8 would have been the code for November, and the 8 may really be a 6 of a partially stamped year. Someone with more knowledge than I have or an early 68 will need to chime in, as I am speculating here.

The DG wheel code was also used on 15-inch 67 Corvette wheels, and it's even more complicated.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lly-wheels.pdf
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 18, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Russ thanks for the info. the wheel codes are not my thing. It appears every wheel is different. I am trying to build my car as a concours winner but there are so many obstacles. Anyway thanks again for the information. Also noted I did check the "Chevy by the numbers" also.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 18, 01:03 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

I think my 67 had several incorrect XG coded wheels on it, and I should have those codes at home written down somewhere. I'll see if any would have been from an early 68, as a point of reference for you. In the mean time, maybe someone with a 68 will respond.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 18, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Thanks again I do need help with the numbers or codes. I did look again at the wheel and it shows DG and it to the left side of the valve stem hole. There is no other markings on the outer part of the wheel. Also noted that the area between the lug nut holes shows a marking of GM only. Thanks again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 18, 05:17 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

The two XG I had were 1970 and apparently a 1986 service replacement, and had the expected stamping around the valve stem hole. So of no help for answering your question.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 18, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Russ thanks anyway I aways appreciate your help. Have a good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode