6Likes
  • 3 Post By allanjs
  • 3 Post By BMR Suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 18, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Flat spots - car sitting 5 yrs

So after the car sitting for about 5 years, I got my new Tremec installed and took her for the first ride. I must have some flat spots. Was shaking a lot.... But by the time I brought it home it was shaking much less.

You guys think it will work its way out? Should I give them a good "cooking" lol?

They are roughly 10 yrs old, Nitto555. No cracks or dryrot. Not worried about blowout.

68 SS 357, AFR195, Hotchkis, TKO600, 3:73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 18, 03:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Re: Flat spots - car sitting 5 yrs

While personal results vary wildly, at least according to the stories posted, and there are plenty of anecdotal stories about using old tires, the industry standard is to use tires no longer than 6 years from the date placed in service AND no longer than 10 years from date of manufacture. You may not be worried about a blowout, but I had a tire come apart from the inside out that had no weather checking at all.

I have two sets of tires for my Z. The set that is not in use is always stored in dark bags to keep any light (UV) from getting to them. Regardless of how stored, yours are on the very edge of their useful life. If you will be driving the car at highway speeds, you might want to reconsider. So, for what its worth, my recommendation would be new tires.

Cooking them won't help. If you are hell bent on driving on them, just normal use with the proper amount of air pressure will most likely return them to "round" as good as anything you can do. After driving about 100 miles, I would recommend having them balanced.

Lynn
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 18, 04:04 PM
Senior Tech
Al

For safety sake I would replace them.
130fe, 68Tiger and ctcz28 like this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 18, 05:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Reputable tire shops won't do anything for you with 10 year old tires except remove them from the rims. They won't touch them, air them up, balance them or anything else due to the liability of knowingly sending a customer out on old, dangerous tires. My car had old tires on it when I got it, but I had not thought to check that. One of the fronts blew out instantaneously through a long hole, there was no slow leak down warning, all air was out with a big bang. I had not hit anything and there was no evidence of puncture. Fortunately I'd just taken off from a traffic signal and was only going about 30 mph, not the 60+ mph I'd been traveling a few minutes earlier on a narrow 2 lane road with deep ditches on either side; that would have led to a completely different outcome. When I got new tires I looked at the inside of the old ones and there were cracks, but none visible on the outside, strange. Get new tires unless you plan on putting around town at 35 mph or less, but I bet with a new TKO that's not your plan.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 18, 01:27 PM
Senior Tech
T.C.

I would do burnouts til they were round again!
130fe, Vega$69 and ctcz28 like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 18, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Update:

Just put two new tires on the back. With the car on jack stands I can still see a little bounce in both tires... Like a little hop, in the same spot, on both sides.

What gives?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 18, 06:16 PM
John

Garage

Bent or out of round rims.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 18, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I initially thought the same. But its the exact same spots on both sides, even if I unbolt one rim and move 180 degrees and bolt back on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode