4.5 Backspace - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 18, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

4.5 Backspace

New forum member here with another backspace question that has probably been asked ad nauseam. I really want to run 18" Foose Legends (gloss black) on a '69. The rear should be no problem from everything I've read; 18x9 with 5.25 BS and 275 40 18s. The front is the issue. I know on an 18x8 4.75 bs is the consensus for optimum fit using 245 40 18s. The Foose only comes in 4.5 bs. 1/4" difference. If I change the tires to a 235 40 18 the difference should about equal out correct? I could even drop the tire to a 225 40 18 to gain a little extra but am hoping the 235 will be a good fit and not have fender rub issues. And yes, my wife is pretty set on these wheels...it's technically her car...technically ;-). Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 18, 09:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Re: 4.5 Backspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEYORE View Post
New forum member here with another backspace question that has probably been asked ad nauseam. I really want to run 18" Foose Legends (gloss black) on a '69. The rear should be no problem from everything I've read; 18x9 with 5.25 BS and 275 40 18s. The front is the issue. I know on an 18x8 4.75 bs is the consensus for optimum fit using 245 40 18s. The Foose only comes in 4.5 bs. 1/4" difference. If I change the tires to a 235 40 18 the difference should about equal out correct? I could even drop the tire to a 225 40 18 to gain a little extra but am hoping the 235 will be a good fit and not have fender rub issues. And yes, my wife is pretty set on these wheels...it's technically her car...technically ;-). Thanks in advance.
Yes I agree with your math. I went with 225's on the front because I'm not an auto-crosser :-)
You might have to install button-head screws but probably not. I think you will be fine
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 18, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Thanks. Always good to have another set of eyes/ears when problem solving.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 07:41 AM
Probationer
Discount Tire

Hi EEYORE, I agree with you and NashvilleCat. You should have no issues running that 4.5 BS wheel on the front of your car. As far as the tire sizes, the 235 40 18 size will be 1.25" shorter overall than the 275 40 18, which works if you are wanting a bit of a raked look. If you are wanting a more level stance, you may want to look at a 235 45 18. That size would be less than 1/2" shorter than the rear tire size.

Last edited by Vega$69; Jun 18th, 18 at 09:22 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 08:52 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

18 x 8 4.75bs is a +6 offset and 4.5bs is a 0 (zero) offset. That 1/4" difference is all outward and is a big deal on a '69 with the squared off wheel well depending on how low your front end sits.

I would re-think wheel size and see if you can get an 18x7 4.25bs (+6 offset) and keep your tire and wheel centered in the wheel cavity. You will most likely need button head fender bolts and a bit of an alignment change (some negative camber) with a +6 offset but you can run the larger tire with less issue than the smaller tire at zero offset. Again a lot of this depends on how low your front sits...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode