15x6 YS Rallys and Disc Brakes - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 18, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dusty

15x6 YS Rallys and Disc Brakes

Hey guys- I'm finding a ton of information online about 15x7 and 15x8 rally wheels, but not much when it comes to 15x6.

I recently got my hand on an old set of 5 YS-stamped rally wheels, centers and lips- 15x6 with 3.5" backspacing. (decoded specs- YS 15X6 BS-3 1/2 68-70 El Camino). The wheels need a full sandblast/paint etc.. but I like the idea that they are survivors and were free and I'm interested in seeing if they will work for my 68.

I'm planning to do this CPP disc brake conversion kit this winter and wanted to go with some 15" rallys to compensate for the extra clearance (currently on 14x7).
Disc Brake Conversion - Camaro Performers Magazine
Classic Nova and Camaro Parts from Classic Performance Products. The Finest in Suspension, Brakes, Steering and Accessories.

My question relates mainly to fitment on the car, and fitment over disc brakes. The rims have an odd backspacing of 3.5" compared to most rally wheels camaro drivers are running. Should that 3.5" backspacing be of worry when it comes to disc brakes, or running say a 225 or 215/60 tire?

Like I said, I've cruised a lot of the online posts, but only find really sparce info related to 15x6. I'm wondering if it's worth restoring this set, or just get a set of Wheel Vintiques or cruise ebay for a set of 15x7 and call it a day.

Any help is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 18, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Re: 15x6 YS Rallys and Disc Brakes

I would go with Right Stuff conversion. I believe the CPP are a made in china product. I am sure someone will set me straight on that! 15x7 are more "plentiful" as they were available on all Chevy cars in the day. I picked up a set off a Monte Carlo for 2 bills complete on CL.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 18, 08:30 AM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Diamond View Post
Hey guys- I'm finding a ton of information online about 15x7 and 15x8 rally wheels, but not much when it comes to 15x6.

I recently got my hand on an old set of 5 YS-stamped rally wheels, centers and lips- 15x6 with 3.5" backspacing. (decoded specs- YS 15X6 BS-3 1/2 68-70 El Camino). The wheels need a full sandblast/paint etc.. but I like the idea that they are survivors and were free and I'm interested in seeing if they will work for my 68.

I'm planning to do this CPP disc brake conversion kit this winter and wanted to go with some 15" rallys to compensate for the extra clearance (currently on 14x7).
Disc Brake Conversion - Camaro Performers Magazine
Classic Nova and Camaro Parts from Classic Performance Products. The Finest in Suspension, Brakes, Steering and Accessories.

My question relates mainly to fitment on the car, and fitment over disc brakes. The rims have an odd backspacing of 3.5" compared to most rally wheels camaro drivers are running. Should that 3.5" backspacing be of worry when it comes to disc brakes, or running say a 225 or 215/60 tire?

Like I said, I've cruised a lot of the online posts, but only find really sparce info related to 15x6. I'm wondering if it's worth restoring this set, or just get a set of Wheel Vintiques or cruise ebay for a set of 15x7 and call it a day.

Any help is much appreciated!
I believe YS wheels were used on 69-70 full size cars also. Not sure about your question for after market disc brakes but be mindful that sandblasting wheels loads those crevices up with small particles (sand debris) that's impossible to totally remove. Soda blasting and evapo-rust is what I use to remove old paint and rust prior to re-finishing.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 18, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dusty

Thanks for the info about CPP being a cheaper product- I'll check out the Right Stuff kit instead!

As far as the wheels go- does anyone know if the 3.5" backspacing will play any kind of havoc with disc brake kits in general? To my understanding, the larger the backspacing is, the more the rim will sit over the caliper, so to the layman, 3.5" backspacing is a safer bet than say 4-4.5", but I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding that correctly.

I will definitely take your advice 68camaroz28 about soda blasting and evaporust when/if I get these wheels restored. I just want to determine if it's worth it at this point or if I should just invest in a set of restored or new 15x7 or 15x8's.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 18, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Craigslist Charlotte has 3 sets of rallys for sale. I would guess the same in your area.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 18, 11:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I ran some old 15X6 rally wheels on a 69 with factory disk back in the day. I can't say they would work with the aftermarket disk though. I also ran some 15X4 rally wheels on the same car. I used the VW bug tires back then.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 18, 07:28 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

FWIW my 68 has a 15x6 with 3.5 bs and a 215/70 and no issues with disc brakes rears are 15x8 with 4.5 bs 275/60

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
15x6, 15x7, disc brake, disc brake conversion, rally wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode