Yet another front wheel question - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 18, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Yet another front wheel question

My setup: stock subframe, DSE control arms, factory disc spindles, Wilwood brakes with hubs. My question is regarding backspacing. Tires will be either 235/45R17 or 245/45R17 on Billet Specialties 17x8 Mag Legend Series wheels. Ideally an 8 wheel sets up at +6mm offset. This is about 4.75 backspace on the nose. My Wilwood setup pushes the track out 3/8 so my ideal backspace should be 5 1/8 +/- or about +15 offset. Does that sound right? I twist myself up going back and forth between offset and backspace. The wheel is available out to 5 3/4 so i was thinking 5 1/4 and a 1/8 spacer if necessary. Am i messing my math up?

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 18, 05:07 PM
Tech Team
Pete

Garage
Re: Yet another front wheel question

I have 235/45R17s on +0 offset 17x9 rims and have clearance issues with my rear fenders. If you're running the same or wider, you really should go with wider rims as a 235 has almost 10" of tread. They were fine when the car sat 3 inches higher, but won't work at all with my car's current stance. I'm looking at +25 rims for mine as I want to move my rear tires inward about an inch. If your rotors move your wheels 3/8 inch out, I think that effectively makes a +6 rim (3 3/4" goes outside the mounting surface) effectively a -3 offset as the outside edge of the rim for a -3 would be in the same place. You'll need backspacing/positive offset to compensate. A +15 offset will compensate for the additional offset your new hubs create, but my guess is that you'll still be too close to the fenders with a 235 or 245 tire. I measured my 17x9s on the car to come up with my targets. I have 2 inches inside clearance with these rims right now, so adding 1 inch of offset (25mm) should put my tired dead center between the fender lip and inner fender. I recommend you measure to figure out where your wheels need to move (in or out).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 18, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: Yet another front wheel question

I dont have a rear issue. This is all front end.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode