• 1 Post By 68lowered

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 19, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage
HELP identify 1968 wheel and tire size

Hey all,

My 68 came with the American Racing AR105M Torq Thrust M 17's and I wanted to identify which size it is. I'm thinking of going with wider front and rear wheels. Car is being rebuilt now so don't have access to it. Took a photo of one of the tires.

Any chance someone can identify the size? attaching sizing below from their website and my wheels.

My second option is to purchase the Forgeline GA3 Perf Series in Satin Black,
Size: 18x9.5 & 18x12

I've seen customers running 245/40/18 & 335/30/18

What other tire options can i go with? Any chance someone knows a good website that ships tires internationally? Much appreciated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by majj35; Jan 24th, 19 at 05:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 05:46 AM
Tech Team
Pete

Garage
Re: HELP identify 1968 wheel and tire size

You're running the same tires I have on my 68 - 235/45R17s -mine are on 17x9 rims. Any tires larger than 235s will run into clearance problems with the original offset. You can simply measure them but the backspace they list doesn't look right. A 0 offset should center the wheel on the hub, so an 8 inch rim should have 4 inch backspace, not 4.5". That's the issue I have with mine since I swapped out my original 10 bolt and lowered my car. My 0 offset rims pushed the rear tires out too far. I'm switching to a positive offset of 25-30mm. That will take up most of the inside clearance I have and give me room between the tire and fender. The 18x12 rims you suggested won't fit without installing mini-tubs. The 245s might fit up front but it will depend on how low the car sits and the offset you're using. Check tirerack.com - they might ship internationally, but I would expect it will be expensive regardless of who you find.
majj35 likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage
Re: HELP identify 1968 wheel and tire size

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lowered View Post
You're running the same tires I have on my 68 - 235/45R17s -mine are on 17x9 rims. Any tires larger than 235s will run into clearance problems with the original offset. You can simply measure them but the backspace they list doesn't look right. A 0 offset should center the wheel on the hub, so an 8 inch rim should have 4 inch backspace, not 4.5". That's the issue I have with mine since I swapped out my original 10 bolt and lowered my car. My 0 offset rims pushed the rear tires out too far. I'm switching to a positive offset of 25-30mm. That will take up most of the inside clearance I have and give me room between the tire and fender. The 18x12 rims you suggested won't fit without installing mini-tubs. The 245s might fit up front but it will depend on how low the car sits and the offset you're using. Check tirerack.com - they might ship internationally, but I would expect it will be expensive regardless of who you find.

Thanks for the feedback. The specs i attached was from the website so it looks like they have 2 versions of this wheel

So my backspace is probably a 4 , correct? Im keeping the ride height as is, just going to correct the right side since its sitting a little higher from the left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1968 wheels, american racing, tire size, wheel size

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode