2Likes
  • 1 Post By bondora68
  • 1 Post By Garfields Maro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Any experience with Vision brand wheels

I'm looking for rally's and this option came up. Does anyone know anything about the
brand Vision? All of the major parts houses have them. I can't find any descent and/or
reasonably priced rally's close to me.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...er,359246.html

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: Any experience with Vision brand wheels

Price seems very reasonable, although factory (GM) FW's (very common) are the same size and probably a little less....if you have the time and patience. You could try a wanted ad here as I'm sure some fellow TC'ers may have some they'd part with. Just need to find something within driving distance as shipping would be the killer. I sold 2 nice ones on Craigslist, last year for $100.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

The FW's are what I expected I'd find. I have 2 that need blasting and paint. I've been looking
for at least a year and nothing showing up. They're either trashed or way over priced. Hard to
pass on $60/ea new including shipping.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 09:14 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

I hear ya. I have 2 more FW's but don't really want to sell. One is my spare.

I had a couple of not so great experiences with repro rally wheels. The 15x8 Wheel Vintiques had paint blisters and falling off right out of the box. There were disclaimers (stickers) on them about the paint. Needless to say, they needed to be stripped and refinished.

Then when I wasn't happy with the trim ring availability for mixed size wheels (7" front, 8" rear), I decided to go with chrome rally wheels. Got a pair of 7" cheap and found out the cap retainer nubbins weren't big enough and my NOS derby caps didn't fit tight ! Luckily I got them through Summit and had no problem returning them.

So you know the moral of the story with repro parts....

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Garth, Wheel Vintiques had been my first choice. Wow, I didn't expect there would be any
problems with those. They advertise as powder coated. Pretty hard to screw that up in an
industrial type setup. Yes, I'm well aware of the repro problems in general. Thanks for the
info. I'm still trying to find at least 2 FW's. There's a swap meet coming up in a couple of
weeks where I might find some.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 07:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

I bought the wheel Vintiques rallys and have no real issues..
allanjs likes this.

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe (Sold)

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 09:23 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Al, WV wasn't powder coating back when I got them. It's no wonder why they'd make some improvements in the finish ! The silver was kinda grayish looking anyway.

Swap meet sounds good.

How far are you from the Picker's (Mike & Frank) ?? I've seen them pick up rally wheels. Probably would want too much for them though...?

The other advantage to factory (Chevy) wheels is being hub centric whereas aftermarket are lug centric. Not a big deal imo, as I've never had a problem with aftermarket in that regard.

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Mar 30th, 19 at 09:37 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Garth, Mike & Frank are in Le Claire, a strong 2 hrs drive. I worked in the front end suspension
and brake business and never experienced an issue due to a non hub centric wheel so that's not
a concern for me. I'm still looking but I can't justify traveling, purchasing, blasting and painting
wheels just to say they are factory original wheels. They could be bent and you won't know it until
you're able to spin them. My only reservation buying repops is I've been having terrible problems
with aftermarket parts recently. Even made in USA. That's a topic for another discussion.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

I found a pair of FW's about 1 hr away for reasonable $$. Going to check them out in a few days.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 12:57 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Well, that didn't take long...good luck !

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

I bought the FW's last night. They're in good shape but as I expected they should be blasted
and painted. They are usable as is but once our weather straightens out I'll get to them. I also
got a pair of 68-69 center caps with them so now I have 4 that I will eventually sell.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 04:05 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Cool, the caps may end up paying for the wheels !
You're probably already aware, but be careful on the blasting media you choose. The set I had came with my car and were "reconditioned". Apparently they were glass beaded from the evidence stuck in crease where the wheel is put together. Almost impossible to remove...
allanjs likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode