LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Chris

Garage
Can not remove rally rings

Hello all,

67 camaro, 15x7 rallys

I read and searched,,, I have removed these in the past, but apparently something is seized or changed since i last owned this car 30 years ago.

I can not for the life of me remove the rings. I have pulled, tugged, pried. Nada, zip.

Not sure if they have been replaced with knockoff junk but they are on there.

Any advice before i ruin them.... All four are are on like someone glued them into place.
Center caps popped right off.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 05:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

re: Can not remove rally rings

You're going to have to just pry them off with a long tire iron. If necessary you could get a long steel rod and grind one end to a chisel point for more leverage. A small block of wood between the pry bar and the tire would help. Mine were particularly hard to remove too and this worked for me.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 08:35 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Some trim rings had 4 or 5 clips rather than teeth. Look close to see what you have.
The rings with clips can be a bitch to remove and install. You could try a penetrating
fluid.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

If you have originals with four clips, locate the clips and put a large screwdriver in the center, hit the screwdriver with your hand. The clip is spring steel and will come loose. Repeat three more times.

1969 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Firebird 400

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 07:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Can not remove rally rings

I had a set of second gen 5-spoke Z28 wheels and it was much easier to remove the trim rings if you let some air out of the tires....
Just a thought.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Chris

Garage
Re: Can not remove rally rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
I had a set of second gen 5-spoke Z28 wheels and it was much easier to remove the trim rings if you let some air out of the tires....
Just a thought.
Thanks for the replies,, I will give a it another try tonight.. While talking about rings, I whant to go to a 8 inch wheel with 4.5 BS. How many different depths of trim rings are there,, what should i be looking for.

The rims must have been swapped out sometime in the 90s to these 15x7s. i want to go back to 15x6-7 in the front and 15x8 in the rear.

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode