Front end wheel clearance differences on 68 Camaro's... - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DjD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 19, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shanan

Front end wheel clearance differences on 68 Camaro's...

Hi Guys,

Quick query....

I have read enough to know that everyone has different experiences (and results) with tyre and wheel clearances on these old cars. Common backspace measurements may work on one, but not another.

Anyhow....

Just borrowed some wheels to do a "test fit" on my 68 camaro.

Has ridetech control arms, spindles, tru-turn and shocks on the front.
Also has wilwood brake upgrade.

Wheel tested was a 17x8 with 4.75" of backspace.

I do understand these items I have installed mean my car is far from standard and common measurements may not apply. For example the wilwood kit changes my track width a little, but tobin @ Kore3 said mine is fractionally changed from std - nothing to worry about.

So - to my issue....

I am noticing a fair difference on the outer wheel arch clearance between driver and passenger side on my car. Drivers side has much less clearance on the outside arch v's passenger side.

Passenger side is clearing comfortably, and will do so even better once I install the button head bolts for inner fender.

The drivers side is hitting the lip of the arch already - pretty much where the screws hold the chrome trim to the arch. So wheel is hitting well before the inner bolts.

The drivers side was so different to the passenger side - I thought one of the wheels must have the wrong backspace, but took the wheel off and measured - it is 4.75" BS.

Can I ask what differences other have seen between clearances on drivers and passenger sides for front wheels???

Just wondering if what I am seeing is what others would call acceptable or "not uncommon".

The wheel locations in relation to the fender are noticeably different on mine.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Cheers,
Shanan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 19, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Front end wheel clearance differences on 68 Camaro's...

Sounds to me like your sub frame isn't centered. Or possibly replaced fenders(?).

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 19, 05:38 PM
Team Member
Tim

So not to ask the obvious question but did you measure the overall width of the wheel itself? Perhaps even with identical backspace you grabbed both a front and rear wheel? I know this is probably a long shot but all things being equal either you are using two different wheels which you think are the same due to equal backspace or your DS fender is out of whack (which seems much less likely).

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 19, 05:47 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Check your alignment... Positive camber can place the tire closer to the fender lip and negative camber will provide more fender lip and tire clearance. That said, a bit of negative camber is a good thing, it helps with fender lip clearance and keeps the contact patch planted in the corners.
dhutton likes this.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode