Trim ring suggestions - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 4th, 19, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Trim ring suggestions

I need a set of 4 new stainless trim rings for my FW(15") rally wheels. Any one have any experience on
brands to buy or not to buy ? I'm not going to pop for NOS so we'll leave that out of the discussion.
Thanks

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 4th, 19, 09:52 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: Trim ring suggestions

The majority if not all the cheapos have this type of clip on https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-PONTI...cAAOSw5ZBWGe7V which tear the he!! out of the paint. Plus they usually have a yellowish tint to them.

Sorry I don't have any positive suggestions. I'd pay up for the best repro's you can find/afford or else some decent used originals and refinish if needed.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 06:17 AM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

I've used these ones in the past although not perfect pretty decent.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wvi-3001-15-1

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
The majority if not all the cheapos have this type of clip on https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-PONTI...cAAOSw5ZBWGe7V which tear the he!! out of the paint. Plus they usually have a yellowish tint to them.

Sorry I don't have any positive suggestions. I'd pay up for the best repro's you can find/afford or else some decent used originals and refinish if needed.
Thanks Garth. I don't have a problem paying up for decent repro's if there is such a thing. I've
seen that Ebay listing. Given they've sold 1,600+ sets and they have 99.3% positive feedback
I wonder if it's worth a shot. I know they can tear up the paint but the factory rings did also. I
straightened out my share of clips and teeth when I worked on these cars when they were virtually
new.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by slazisme View Post
I've used these ones in the past although not perfect pretty decent.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wvi-3001-15-1
Thanks Simon. Have you used these on factory wheels? I ask because some of the suppliers
state their rings are only made to fit their own wheels.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 03:33 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Factory rings just leave 8 marks (scratches).

Those that Simon posted look encouraging. The set of WV rings that I got had the clip on style as in the ebay ad. And were yellowish. Summit took them back with a refund, no problem.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
Factory rings just leave 8 marks (scratches).

Those that Simon posted look encouraging. The set of WV rings that I got had the clip on style as in the ebay ad. And were yellowish. Summit took them back with a refund, no problem.
Thanks Garth. I couldn't get Simon's link to open earlier. Maybe Summit was down.
I now can see it and they do indeed look encouraging and state they fit original wheels.
I may give them a try.
Edit: I just noticed they are not in stock with a 6/14/19 estimated ship date.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 06:33 PM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

Al, I had mine on 15" Magnum rims, though the proper ones were deeper but I didn't care. I sold the tire and rims but probably have a picture somewhere. If you want, PM me your email and Ill shoot you some pics. My photo storage site that I've been using, Fquick, has ceased to operate now.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by slazisme View Post
Al, I had mine on 15" Magnum rims, though the proper ones were deeper but I didn't care. I sold the tire and rims but probably have a picture somewhere. If you want, PM me your email and Ill shoot you some pics. My photo storage site that I've been using, Fquick, has ceased to operate now.
PM sent.
Thanks

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 07:15 PM
Probationer

I just bought trim rings yesterday....

I have Vintiques 15 x 7 wheels on a stock 67 convertible. I had ordered Vintiques trim rings also to go with them but the trim rings were backordered with a 7/8/19 ship date...

I found out that D&R Classic had both the 15 x 7 and 15 x 8 rings in stock (had read some posts on the option to use either on a 15 x 7 wheel). Since D&R is local to me, I pulled a wheel and took it there to see which one fit the best (D&R recommended to bring the wheel).

Tried both and the choices were the stepped 15x7 ring (with a large gap between the trim ring and wheel center) or the rounded ring with essentially no gap.

I preferred the look of the 15 x 8 ring on the wheels - even though it looks less "original" from my (very) limited knowledge of what is and isn't... so... that is what I took home.... the clips were similar to those on the ebay example in an earlier post.

Put them on the car and am happy with the result. (thanks to D&R for tolerating my high maintenance personality..)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

TWB Thanks for the info.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 5th, 19, 10:26 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Here's some NOS I had showing the step on the outer edge. Also note how blue they look.

Here's the WV I mentioned earlier with rounded edge as used on Corvette, etc. . Note the yellowish tint (no flash chrome).

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Garth, Thanks for the pics for comparison. I received pics from Simon showing the
rings he linked from Summit. They look good to me and have the square edge.
I'm trying to locate a set now as Summit and other suppliers are out of stock.
I may try to order direct from WV.
Garfields Maro likes this.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

Nobody has the WV rings in stock including WV's. I found a set with the correct attachment prongs
at Eckler's and pulled the trigger. I also ordered a set of center caps from them (US made). Fingers
crossed the quality is good. I'll know in a few days.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Al

To follow this up, the center caps are pretty nice. That's where the good stops. The
rings were not as advertised. 360 degree teeth (not prongs), made in Taiwan (not USA
as I was told and the packing slip states), and the finish work looks like it was done by
a 10 year old with a scotch brite pad. After some persistence Rick's is paying for the return
trip. Of course I knew I was taking a chance but 3 strikes you're out. At this time their website
has not updated these and still show as in stock so buyer beware. Part #33-179374-1.

Al

my 67' build thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode