Team Camaro Tech banner

Will a 245 50 17 tire fit the front on a 1969?

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Mai Tai 
#1 ·
Hi all,
My wife and I recently picked up a 1969 Camaro convertible (a birthday present from her to me). Here's a pic from the ad:

It currently has 15 inch chrome rallys (fairly certain that they're 15x7's although I haven't pulled them off yet to measure them). The tires are 215 60 15.

The tires are some no name brand that look fairly new, yet the date code says they're from 2003. I just picked up a nail in a tire, so it's time for new tires.

I've done a bunch of searches, but haven't found much info for the new tire size I'm thinking of running. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 17 inch wheel, either a 17x7 or 17x8 chromed rally wheel, most likely either by Wheel Vintiques or the polished Rev Wheel 107 rally. Will a 245 50 17 fit in the front, without any rubbing issues? I know that it will definitely fit in the back. The steering box is shot, and most of the front suspension is worn out, so I'm going to replace everything with a RideTech Street Grip suspension (already purchased). This car is going to remain a cruise mobile only, no auto crossing or road course racing, but I do want to make it totally road worthy, in case the wife and I want to hop in the car and go on a 200 to 400 mile road trip, so I was thinking about running the same size tire all the way around like it is now, instead of staggered tires, although I could go staggered if it really looked better that way.

So will the 245 50 17 fit up front without any rubbing issues, on the RideTech Street Grip suspension? Or am I going to have to run a 245/45-17 on the front? I do prefer the look of a taller sidewall and larger overall diameter for this particular car's purposes.

I do realize that it would be cheaper for me to stick with the 15 inch chromed rallys that are currently on the 69, but my choice of rubber would be more limited. If I stayed with the 15 inch rallys, I guess my choices are the current 215 60 15's which I think look a little small, or I could go with
215 65 15
225 60 15
245 60 15
255 60 15
295 60 15 - too big?

Okay guys, what are your recommendations. Much thanks in advance!
-Bill
P.S. Hi Vince!!! :grin2:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I agree that 215-60-15's look too small. I had 15" rallys (7" front, 8" rear) and ran 225-60-15 front and 255-60-15 rear with no rubbing so I'd definately step up in size. Staggered fit looks good unless you want to rotate your tires then you'll be more restricted in size choice based on what will fit the front. You can see my 17" tire size in my signature below, wheels are 8" and 9" wide. That nail in the tire was a blessing. You don't want to be driving on 16 year old tires for any reason.

#3 ·
Tire options are limited with 17. 18 is much better. Yes a 245 tire will fit if you get the backspacing right and run a little negative camber.

Don

#4 ·
Tire options are limited with 17. 18 is much better.

Don
I totally agree that I will have a much better tire option with 18 inch wheels, and brake upgrade options too, but for my own personal taste I don't really like an 18 inch wheel on a 1st gen Camaro, (no offense anyone, that's just me), and I especially don't like the look of an 18 inch rally, especially for this particular car. I think the 17's don't look too different from the 15's, especially if I go with the Wheel Vintiques rallys, and I want as much sidewall height that I reasonably go with.

Yes a 245 tire will fit if you get the backspacing right and run a little negative camber.

Don
Awesome. Don, if I stayed with my 15 inch rally's and put 245's on them, instead of going with 17 inch wheels, do you think that will fit up front, say a 245 60 15? That would give me an approximately 26.6 inch tall tire in front. Any rubbing or clearance issues with that? Or would I have to go with a 225 60 15 up front instead that is approximately 25.6 inches tall? (hope my math is correct on those sizes!)

I agree that 215-60-15's look too small. I had 15" rallys (7" front, 8" rear) and ran 225-60-15 front and 255-60-15 rear with no rubbing so I'd definately step up in size. Staggered fit looks good unless you want to rotate your tires then you'll be more restricted in size choice based on what will fit the front. You can see my 17" tire size in my signature below, wheels are 8" and 9" wide. That nail in the tire was a blessing. You don't want to be driving on 16 year old tires for any reason.
Cool. Same question to you as to Don, do you think a 245 60 15 would fit up front, or would there be some rubbing and clearance issues? The 245 60 15 is about an inch taller than the 225 60 15. If I stick with the 15's, then it looks like I'll be running the 245 60 15 up front (probably at all 4 corners), unless it won't fit, or the same size you used, the 225 60 15, and a 255 60 15 in back. If I go with the 17's, I'll run either a 235 45 17 or a 245 45 17 up front, and a 275 40 17 in the rear, which seems to be the most popular largest staggered combo for a 1st gen.

Great info and suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming!

If I go with 17 inch wheels, I'd also like to upgrade the brakes from drum at all corners, to most likely something like C5 brakes, with something around the size of a 12.9 inch rotor in front. I've heard a couple of people say that those will fit with the Rev Wheel 107 rally. Any feedback on those 12.9 inch brake rotors and C5 calipers fitting the Wheel Vintiques or the Rev 107 rallys?

#5 ·
I don't know about a 245-60-15 on the front since I've not tried that. Hate to have it rub on full lock. Perhaps you could work with your local tire store to mount two 245's and see if they rub and if so go with the 225's. For what it's worth I had to use a spacer with my C5 calipers since I did not want to grind off any of the ribs on the top of the caliper. Unless someone here has tried the C5 front brakes with the two wheel styles you mention, you're back in the experimentation zone. Clearance will depend in part on the shape of the inner wheel.

#7 ·
Thanks, guys. I'll have to pull the wheels and do some careful measurements before I buy my tires, and I'll have to give Tobin at KORE3 a call before I order wheels and brakes, to get the right brake fitment. I guess we'll see what plays out in the next couple of weeks. In the mean time, everyone keep the advice coming! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.