1969 Camaro - RS Spec Chassis - Wheel and Tire Combo & Pinch Seam Ques - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1969 Camaro - RS Spec Chassis - Wheel and Tire Combo & Pinch Seam Ques

Hi All,

I know there are a lot of threads on 18" wheels. I'm a little stuck on deciding due to the chassis I plan to go with.

I'm in the process of ordering the Roadster Shop SPEC chassis, and I'm trying to work out my wheel and tire size. I will not be mini tubbing the car so from what I can read the largest sizing is 18x8 with 245-40-18 tires in the front and 19x9.5 with 275-35-19 tires in the rear. I've also heard of going 18's all around due to tire availability.

- For those who have any of the above size does this wheel and tire size perform under normal and spirited driving?
- For those who have 18's all around what wheel and tire size are you running (18x8 in the front and 18x10 in the rear?)?
- What back spacing did you use?

I'm looking at American Racing VN510's
Roadster Shop uses these on the RS spec car:

Tires:
Falken Azenis RT615K tires; 255/40/17 front and 275/35/18 rear.
Wheels:
American Racing Torq-Thrust; 17x9 front and 18x9.5 rear.

Lastly and probably most important - I've been fortunate enough to have access to a lift for most of my larger projects, but I don't have lift access on this install . I need to put the car on jacks using the pinch seam. Where are you putting your jack stand on the pinch seam? Do you use a pinch seam block to keep from damaging them?

Thank you!

Kyle

1969 Camaro Red
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech

Re: 1969 Camaro - RS Spec Chassis - Wheel and Tire Combo & Pinch Seam

IMHO, always use a pinch seam block if that is where you are supporting the car

With that said I use the front clip just before the curve up (forward) and stands under the rear end. I also have sub frame connectors that could be used if I wanted to
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
Don

An empty shell can easily be supported on the pitch weld. All the way to the front and rear. However it is unstable due to the rear overhang. Weld on some legs to support the rear frame rails.

I always strap the cowl to the lift arms when raising an empty shell on my two post lift.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 04:39 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I like 17's because they have more sidewall. The sizes you need are readily available. BFG in 255/45/17 and 235/45/17, no rubbing issues on a 2" lowered car. JMO.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 04:58 AM
Senior Tech
Don

I think the tire series/aspect ratio determines the sidewall height based on tread width.....

275 rear tire is ok on a 69 if you nail the backspacing and do a little trimming of the wheel lip at the 10 and 2 o’clock positions.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Awesome thank you for your help!

I ended up going with a similar size as RS on the tires. This leaves me with a 3.50 rear gear and a great cruising RPM on the highway with the TKO 600 (.64OD).

Just purchased some pinch weld blocks, and I'm considering grabbing a QuickJack https://www.costco.com/QuickJack-5%2...100460313.html

Kyle

1969 Camaro Red

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode