1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Camaro Guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 19, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage
1968 SS Tire Size and Brand for 17 inch

I've got the 17" AR torq thrust with very old Sumitomo tires (MY 2009) and need to change all 4.

My fronts: 235/45/17
My Rears: 275/40/17
Tires: Sumitomo

However, I would like to go wider on the rears.

1)What's the best size to go a little wider (photo might help) - or maybe stick with 275s

2)What are good tire brands to go for?

PS: I don't know the backspacing of my AR wheels. Car came with the wheels, back when i purchased them.

AR specs: https://www.americanracing.com/produ...k-machined-lip

Thank you very much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by majj35; Jul 31st, 19 at 12:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 19, 02:58 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: 1968 SS Tire Size & Brand for 17"

what ever size you choose, I would suggest Cooper tires. that is what I use on all my vehicles.
the mileage is equal to the one set of Michelin I had
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 19, 07:45 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by majj35 View Post
I've got the 17" AR torq thrust with very old Sumitomo tires (MY 2009) and need to change all 4.

My front size are alright 235/45/17

However, I would like to go wider on the rears.

1)What's the best size to go a little wider (photo might help)

2)What are good tire brands to go for?

PS: I don't know the backspacing of my AR wheels.

Thank you very much.
You don't say what size your rear tires are so kinda hard to help you pick wider tires. Not knowing your wheel backspacing doesn't help either.

That said, 1st gens with no tubs in the rear and stock inner fenders up front and basically stock style suspensions can accommodate up to a 245 width up front and a 275 width in the rear. With the correct backspacing you should be able to run a 245/45 r17 in front and a 275/40 r17 in back.

Tire brands are real subjective and some what regional, I've been real happy with Nitto 555's and BFG G Force tires.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 19, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
You don't say what size your rear tires are so kinda hard to help you pick wider tires. Not knowing your wheel backspacing doesn't help either.

That said, 1st gens with no tubs in the rear and stock inner fenders up front and basically stock style suspensions can accommodate up to a 245 width up front and a 275 width in the rear. With the correct backspacing you should be able to run a 245/45 r17 in front and a 275/40 r17 in back.

Tire brands are real subjective and some what regional, I've been real happy with Nitto 555's and BFG G Force tires.
Ah my apologies, missed putting my rears. They are 275/40/17.

The backspacing, i'm not sure, because back when I purchased the car it already had the wheels on. Is there anyway I can find out my wheel spec?

Here's the wheel spec from AR: https://www.americanracing.com/produ...k-machined-lip

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 12:37 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Ah my apologies, missed putting my rears. They are 275/40/17.

The backspacing, i'm not sure, because back when I purchased the car it already had the wheels on. Is there anyway I can find out my wheel spec?

Here's the wheel spec from AR: https://www.americanracing.com/produ...k-machined-lip
So with 275/40's you are at max width without either a mini-tub or a wheel adapter to decrease your backspacing and make the tires stick out beyond the fender lip.

Looking at what is offered you most likely have a 17x8 w/4.5" bs

...Dennis

Last edited by DjD; Jul 31st, 19 at 05:36 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I prefer BFG.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
So with 275/40's you are at max width without either a mini-tub or a wheel adapter to decrease your backspacing and make the tires stick out beyond the fender lip.

Looking at what is offered you most likely have a 17x8 w/4.5" bs
Ah i see, yeah i think ill stick to my current sizes then. Just gona be looking for good tires with those sizes.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 09:25 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Ah i see, yeah i think ill stick to my current sizes then. Just gona be looking for good tires with those sizes.
Definitely look at the Nitto 555 or 555G2 (second generation) I have been completely satisfied with the 555's on my '69.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00972-1200.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	228487  

...Dennis

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 19, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I try to buy USA company products so the profit stays here not to some other country. There are great tires from the USA that goes on and American car!! Just and old guy talkin. . . . .
69Z28 likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 19, 07:16 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
I try to buy USA company products so the profit stays here not to some other country. There are great tires from the USA that goes on and American car!! Just and old guy talkin. . . . .
The guy is in Saudi Arabia...

...Dennis

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post

I get what you mean, for me honestly, any product going on my car needs to be reliable & good quality, regardless where its made from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
The guy is in Saudi Arabia...

Yup, moved back here with the car. I had in in boston for 2 years, then a year in New York City before shipping it back.

I actually bought the car from Lond Island

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
68 wheel size, tire size, wheel size, wide wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode