Need some advice please. - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Need some advice please.

Hello all. I know this is a common question but I also know most issues are a little different. I have a pretty much stock 69 Camaro and having some tire fitment/rubbing issues. I am running really wheels 15x7 in the front and I believe 15x8 in the rear, I apologize I dont know the offset. The front tires are 235 60-15 and the rear are 255 60-15. I recently rebuilt the entire front end and installed a set of Hotchkis 2" lowering springs which outs the tire up into the wheel well a good 1" plus and the tire now rubs on the fender when backing up or sharp turns. The back have always rubbed on the fender lip when anyone is in the back seat or I hit a good dip in the road. I am in need of new tires and need to know what to go with. I am pondering putting the old springs back in... Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Re: Need some advice please.

I have basically stock front end and from my perspective I think 235's on the front are too wide. I have 225's and the rub ever so slightly on full turns.

I run 225/65/15 on the front and 245/60/15 on the rear. I find the taller front tire on stock suspension gives better stance but maybe my rear leafs on the back are a bit soft and need replacing.

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 04:59 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Smithers View Post
Hello all. I know this is a common question but I also know most issues are a little different. I have a pretty much stock 69 Camaro and having some tire fitment/rubbing issues. I am running really wheels 15x7 in the front and I believe 15x8 in the rear, I apologize I dont know the offset. The front tires are 235 60-15 and the rear are 255 60-15. I recently rebuilt the entire front end and installed a set of Hotchkis 2" lowering springs which outs the tire up into the wheel well a good 1" plus and the tire now rubs on the fender when backing up or sharp turns. The back have always rubbed on the fender lip when anyone is in the back seat or I hit a good dip in the road. I am in need of new tires and need to know what to go with. I am pondering putting the old springs back in... Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Did you get a front end alignment after all the work? To what specs? pozziracing.com has recommended alignment specs. A lot of tire rubbing can be fixed with negative camber.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

I did have it aligned, the amount of rubbing seems more than can be fixed with the current tire but I maybe wrong. I was at a show last night a there were 2 with the same stance but of course the owners were not around to speak with.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 06:34 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
I did have it aligned, the amount of rubbing seems more than can be fixed with the current tire but I maybe wrong. I was at a show last night a there were 2 with the same stance but of course the owners were not around to speak with.
If you used the factory alignment specs you don’t have enough negative camber. Do a little reading on the Pozzi site regarding recommended alignment specs.

Your car no longer has bias ply tires and factory ride height. The factory alignment specs are irrelevant....

Don

1959 El Camino project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Understood, thank you I will go that.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Don is correct on the alignment. If you have the specs on your alignment settings post them.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 10:53 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
I'm going to say you have the wrong off-set wheels.
A 255/60 should be nowhere near rubbing. Guys run 275/60's, which are about 1" wider.
I can't really speak for the 7" wide wheels up front except I'm still thinking wrong off-set.

One other thing, do you also have drop spindles or tubular lower control arms ? Yet another reason the front could be too low

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

I do not have the alignment specs, local small shop did it for me over a year ago. When I decide what size new tires I will install I will have it aligned again and be there with them. The control arms are stock with stock height spindles. I appreciate all the responses and suggestions!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 02:18 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
I do not have the alignment specs, local small shop did it for me over a year ago. When I decide what size new tires I will install I will have it aligned again and be there with them. The control arms are stock with stock height spindles. I appreciate all the responses and suggestions!
Why wouldn’t you try negative camber before buying new tires? There should be no issue with a 235 tire.

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Hey Don, I may not have mentioned that the tires are in need of replacing. They are 20 plus years old and have wear from a teenager(me long ago) and a wore out front end. The car is my baby, but after marriage and a my son, time was limited but its time now to get it right.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

And again the front rubbing/hitting is a big concern but the tears rubbing has always bothered me also. At this point it's a two person car. I have a family and it's time to change that.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 19, 04:05 PM
Team Member
Don

I recommend you measure and post the backspacing of your wheels. Here are the recommended backspacings for first gen Camaros:

17x7 = 4.25"bs
17x8 = 4.75"bs
17x8.5 = 5" bs
17x9 = 5.25"bs
17x9.5 = 5.5" bs

Don

1959 El Camino project

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 05:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
I recommend you measure and post the backspacing of your wheels. Here are the recommended backspacings for first gen Camaros:

17x7 = 4.25"bs
17x8 = 4.75"bs
17x8.5 = 5" bs
17x9 = 5.25"bs
17x9.5 = 5.5" bs

Don
Don,
Do the Rally wheels have the B/S stamped on them or do you have to actually measure to determine it? I guess, now that I look at your chart, I don't have to do either. I can just go by your chart, haha. Shoulda thought about that before I wrote the post. But I have 15" wheels. Wonder if it would be the same for the different sizes?

Thanks,

Brett......

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue

Last edited by Brettallen59; Aug 18th, 19 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Edit
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 06:28 AM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
Don,
Do the Rally wheels have the B/S stamped on them or do you have to actually measure to determine it? I guess, now that I look at your chart, I don't have to do either. I can just go by your chart, haha. Shoulda thought about that before I wrote the post. But I have 15" wheels. Wonder if it would be the same for the different sizes?

Thanks,

Brett......
Backspacing is the same regardless of diameter since it is simply centering the wheel in the wheel well.

Easily measured by placing a straight edge across the wheel rim and measuring to wheel mounting surface.

Don

1959 El Camino project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode