Team Camaro Tech banner

Ralley 15x9?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  BOOGIES 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows of a company making a 15x9 Ralley wheel, just wondering why companies skip the 9" in their selection.

#3 ·
I was thinking that as well as they call for a 8 to 10 rim, just thought a 9 would keep it from bulging and still be within clearance issues.
Running a 245/60/15 now,but I believe my wheel may only be a 7", think I'll check out an 8 and see.the 245 is Dimensions 26.6 x 26.6 x 9.8 inches so a 27" tire should be no problem, still think an 8 would let this tire expand more .
Thanks for the input.

#6 ·
From the Tire Rack site:

The industry rule of thumb is that for every 1/2" change in rim width, the tire's section width will correspondingly change by approximately 2/10".

For example: a tire in the P205/60R15 size is measured on a 6.0" wide wheel and this size tire has an approved rim width range from 5.5" to 7.5" wide. The tire has a section width of 8.23" (209mm) when mounted on a 6.0" wide wheel. If that tire were mounted on all of the rims within its approved range, the tire's approximate section width would change as follows:

#7 ·
^^^^^

Yes there is a slight difference as mentioned of approx 2/10s for 1/2” wheel width.

The section width on a 9” wheel would be greater then an 8” wheel. The narrower 8” wheel does not cause the tire to bulge out further.

#8 ·
Thanks guys, I know this is a beaten horse but every oz. Of info is so valuable in making the correct purchase cause we all know what returning an item can be like, not to mention time wasted on installation and such,believe me when I tell y'all, your knowledge is greatly appreciated here because trying to get someone on a phone to give you 5 minutes is like pulling teeth in some cases.
With that said, now I'm focusing on a 8" instead of a 9 considering the minor difference, and I guess this will be a question of clearance as well as look.275 60 15 on 8" wheel, 69 camaro eaton 3 leaf no body mods 12 bolt 4.3/4 pattern.
Backspace, I'm guessing should be whatever bs to accomplish +6 offset ,I really love the deep dish look and I'm guessing a +6 centers the base further out?, and does 4 3/4 on a 8" rim accomplish +6.
Measuring inside fender in +out I'm getting 12" ,11" tire gives me 1/2 on both sides if centered.
Traction bar shock tower clears the shock.

Sorry about the novel.but this should settle my order jitters this week.

#10 ·
You're cutting it fairly tight with only 1/2" clearance inside and outside. I would raise the car
up and set the car down on jack stands under the axle. Remove the rear wheels, place a straight
edge on the wheel mounting surface and measure from this surface to the inside and outside
of the wheel opening. This is to determine the true location of the wheel mounting surface in
respect to the wheel opening and may influence the wheel back space and offset needed. Check
both sides. I would not assume it to be centered.

#12 ·
Have you read the post, "Post up your wheel & tire spec's along with a picture!"

Photo bucket ruined most of the photo's but there is a ton of information in it. One in particular might interest you, if you skip ahead to page 18 and 19 there is a silver / black striped 69 with 8" x 4.5" BS wheels and a 275/60/15 tire on the rear, car is lowered, fender lip is rolled, no rubbing. The wheel width is listed later on page 19.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.