new wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 05, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mark

new wheels

until now,the aluminum wheels i had on my car were "clear coated". cleaning them a breeze,soap and a hose! now i bought a set of weld pro stars, which are not "cleared". put them on the car last fall, but the car never saw the road. pulled back the cover the other day and they looked real dirty! what i want to know is what do you guys use to clean/polish your wheels? i want something good, i've got a lot money tied up in these bad boys! thanks guys!

68 SS CAMARO 355,victor jr. intake,performer rpm heads,Quick Fuel carb,Isky z-27 solid cam,TKO 600,4.11 12 bolt,Hotchkis springs front & rear,Flowmaster exhst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 05, 01:36 PM

Re: new wheels

Mothers Aluminum polish,the blacker the rag turns the more they will shine.Do it like you are waxing a car,use one rag with mothers on it and one rag to polish it off the more you do it the shinnier they get you can make them look like chrome.Also you can take the wheel off and get a small buffing pad and hook it to a drill motor and polish it that way it will be faster.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 05, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
mark

yeah, i've used mothers before, the stuff is great! i was looking towards maybe a spray-on type. one guy told me about a spray from BUSCH(not the beer) but he said it was discontinued.

68 SS CAMARO 355,victor jr. intake,performer rpm heads,Quick Fuel carb,Isky z-27 solid cam,TKO 600,4.11 12 bolt,Hotchkis springs front & rear,Flowmaster exhst.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 05, 01:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Another little 'Olds Kool' car show trick that may help you is - after you polish the metal off with a clean rag, like 'georgia 69' suggests, take a clean rag (diapers, new ones , make great polish rags) and pour (sprinkle?) a little Cornstarch on it (raid you wifes cupboard - it's in a small box) and wipe the polished area thoughly, then wipe/repolish with a clean cloth again.
The Cornstarch picks up all the little bits of black left in the pores after polishing and really helps with final 'Bling'

Check out several of the after polish metal treatments available. They will help 'seal' the metal and keep it oxide free longer.

(edit) If you haven't tried Mother's "Billet" polish, you might want to give it try. More expensive, but works well.
I'm a big fan of Never-Dull 'wadding' also.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

Last edited by Vintage 68; Mar 29th, 05 at 02:31 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 05, 03:25 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

I agree with the "Never Dull Wadding".
That stuff seems to do pretty well.

Uncle Tupelo's Free Advice
Always remember, you only get ONE midlife crisis....use it wisely!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 05, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

Speaking of WELD WHEELS....I think I read somewhere that Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs just bought the Weld wheel company...or at least a big portion of it.

Uncle Tupelo's Free Advice
Always remember, you only get ONE midlife crisis....use it wisely!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 05, 06:33 PM
Senior Tech
dan

I believe I have bought every polish there is. I even mix my own and have a good formula.
I also use Busch products. You wont buy another can of mothers after using this stuff. Also, be sure you use a good soft material to polish them and to wipe them. Its the trick to a good finish. I get some stuff at a fabric shop that doesnt put scratches back into the aluminum when you wipe them off. Its that soft and Yes I am that anal! But the material works. Its a felt material.
Ever had a new set of wheels right out of the box and you get some tires mounted on them and go to wipe the finger prints off that the mounters left and find that the new towel you are using is putting fine scratches in those mirror finished new rims? Its when I noticed the finish on the rims had just taken there first beating!
buschpolishes.com

68 RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode