I got hosed off EBay. What would you do? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 05, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

I got hosed off EBay. What would you do?

I bought some rally wheels off a private seller on Ebay last year. My car is finally getting to point that I will need them (Finally). I didn't realize how important back spacing was when I bought them.

All 4 are 15x7s, but the backspacing is different on one. Three have 3 and 3/4" back spacing and 1 has 4 and 1/4" back spacing.

Do I buy another one with 4 and 1/4" back spacing or do I buy another with 3 and 3/4" back spacing. Which do you think will look better? Will it look odd if the backspacing is different between the front and back?

I had bought some brand new tires 215/65/15 for the front and 245/60/15 for the back.

Last edited by jhilts; Sep 27th, 05 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 06:59 AM

Re: I got hosed off EBay. What would you do?

I actually had the same thing happen a couple years ago buying wheels for my 55 Chevy. It actually worked out to be the best. The one deeper BS wheel actually ended up looking and fitting better on the front of my car than the other three. I ended up buying one more wheel to match the deeper BS and everything worked out for the best.

Good luck
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 07:33 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Test fit the wheels and then decide...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 08:41 AM
Senior Tech
Wes

The 4.25 inch backspacing was used on our first gens. I'm sure you could fit larger tires using this.

If you buy used, take them to your local tire store,.. and have them spun. I'd bet that a third to half of all Rally's sold on e-bay are bent and unusable (I've purchased about a dozen for different projects).

Also, in the Year One catalogue you can still purchase brand new Kelsey Hayes Rally's with the offset mentioned above, 15x7 for about $90 ea.

Good luck
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I called Rick's and they suggested putting the 4.25 on the front, just like you guys suggested.

I found out three of them are AG code which only came on the 68 Corvette, they had a special offset that year.

I think I may just sell it all and start over new. I think I would probably feel more comfortable with new wheels.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

If you have a choice, and want new wheels (good call) order the Kelsey Hayes, which is the original manufacturer of the Chevy Rally wheel. They still make them in the popular sizes and Year One is the only vendor I know of that sells them.

Others sell repos and they're not hub centric, and are only "fair" copies of the original wheels.

My opinion!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 02:23 PM
Senior Tech
Ryan

You could always put a spacer on the one with the 4-1/4" backspacing to make it match the others. I know others have used spacers to make newer original wheels from corvettes and so on fit on early camaros. I am not sure how they work but I would think you would have to put longer wheel studs in with the 1/2" spacer. Maybe others will have some input.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 06:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Spacers are old school and dangerous, not enuff stud on stock set up.. measure , then make decision and go buy new ones... I got 4 that wobble.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 05, 07:07 PM
Senior Tech

Stay away from wheel Vintiques brand aftermarket rallys- just sent 7 wheels back...they were all out of round and shook the car badly.

good luck
JL
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 05, 07:15 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

That one from the vett is rare find. To the best of my knowledge they only had that backspace one year and it was 68. If it's strait find one more and use them on the front, with a 225, 60 15 and put an 8 inch rally trim ring on it. Buy two 15x8's and put 255 60 15's in the rear and 8 inch rally trim rings. It will look like you have 15x8's all around the Camaro because of the trim rings. This set up looks very good and no rubbing on the 68 I had it on or my 67.

How much will you sell it for shipped to zip 71701?

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 05, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Someone from Washington emailed me about the wheels also. I am not even sure what they are worth.

I have decided to sell them though.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 05, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

I have 15x8 OE Rallyes that had a 4" back spacing. The local wheel repair guy cut and re-welded them for less than au$50 each. He also repaired a badly buckled 15x7 for au$35.
My point is it may not cost much to correct them exactly where you want or need them.

Also, the spacer plates are not bad because of the stud length/nut engagement. Even with long studs, they're a bad idea.
It's because the spacers do not support the stud between the axle flange and the wheel. There is generally are large multi fit hole for various stud diameters and bolt circles with a spacer thickness of 1/2" or more for the studs to flex. That's bad.
IF you insisted on using spacers, do not use multi-fit styles. At least use a spacer that snugly fits the studs with 7/16" holes, and make sure you have no less than 1.5 times the stud diameter of thread engagement. (7/16" x 1.5 = 11/16")
Or better still, get the correct backspace.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode