GM Rally Wheels "XC" code-what Car? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 05, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

GM Rally Wheels "XC" code-what Car?

Does anyone know what car GM Rally Wheels 14x6 with date code "XC" are from? I do not think these are Camaro wheels?

Also do you know the backspacing on these?

thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Re: GM Rally Wheels "XC" code-what Car?

According to the CRG, these were not used on 1st gen Camaros. Not sure where they were used.

http://www.camaros.org/suspen.shtml#Wheels

Chuck B
RI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Frost Grn, x11, 350 4bbl, COMPCam XE256H, Crane XR-i HEI, M20, posi, Flowmaster 2.5";

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 11:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

"XG" Ralley Wheels were used on both 1968 and 69 Camaros with 14X6" Disc Brake rim requirements. (as listed in the CRG 1968 and 1969 listings in the link above...)
"1968
Steel Drum - FC 14x6 inch Base, SS
Steel Front Disc - XF 14x6 inch Base, SS
Rally Drum - XN 14x6 inch Base, SS
Rally Front Disc - XG 14x6 inch Base, SS
Rally Front Disc- DF 15x6 inch Z28

Steel Drum - FC 14x6 inch Base
Steel Front Disc - XF 14x6 inch Base
Steel Front Disc - XT 14x7 inch SS
Steel Front Disc - IF 14x7 inch SS (observed on early LOS units)
Rally Drum - XN 14x6 inch Base
Rally Front Disc - XG 14x6 inch Base
Rally Front Disc - YJ 14x7 inch SS
Rally Front Disc - DF 15x6 inch Z28 (early)
Rally Front Disc - AD 15x7 inch Z28 (middle)
Rally Front Disc - YH 15x7 inch Z28 (late)...
"

They were also used on Chevy II/Nova cars.

Hope this helps;
John

ps: my 68 has factory 4-spot Disc brakes and XG rims...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 01:28 PM
Kevin

XC from colvins is a 14x5 steel wheel for pass and wagons from 66-69. You probably have a XG.

Kevin

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 05, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

yes it is XG-not XC-thanks
JL
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 02:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

How 'bout a set of "JJ" wheels? I ran across a set of them at a yard sale recently for $150. What did they come off of?

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

The "JJ" Code refers to the part number for the center part of the wheel before it is built. This can be found on the inside of the rim. When the wheel is assembled, it is designated with another code near the valve stem. That's the code you need to look for.

If there is no code near the rim, then you can measure the diameter, width, and backspace to help determine what they are. I have a set like this and I'm not sure what they were from. Did you buy them?

Chuck B
RI

- Frost Grn, x11, 350 4bbl, COMPCam XE256H, Crane XR-i HEI, M20, posi, Flowmaster 2.5";

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 05, 08:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck69ss
The "JJ" Code refers to the part number for the center part of the wheel before it is built...
Just to clarify - the "JJ" refers only to the rim profile.
The common profiles for a rim on a 60's disc brake car will be 'JJ'- for 14" rim, 'JK' or 'L' for a 15" rim (disc and drum) and 'J' or 'K' for a 13", 14" or 15" rim in drum brake applications.
The rim section will also have internal stampings to indicate the manufacturer ( Firestone, Kelsey-Hayes, GM... ) the date and other data.
The center section will also have stamping for manufacturer info.

The final assembly date for the complete wheel will most commonly be found near the valve stem hole area.

Aftermarket rims maybe lacking some stampings as stickers were commonly used starting in the 70's and they may have been removed or fell off by now.

Hope this helps;
John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 05, 12:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Hmmm... I remember this "JJ" code as being near the valve stem, so I thought it was the wheel code. If I see them again, I'll look more closely.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 05, 09:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Question Re: GM Rally Wheels "XC" code-what Car?

I know of 'DJ'*, 'FJ'*, 'XJ' and 'YJ' as Stamped Application Codes in the 70's (some late 60's ) - but, I don't have a listing for a "JJ" application code.

I've been wrong before though...

* = oddball drum brake 60's 'Taxi/Police' narrow tube type wheels you would'nt probably want anyway...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode