Recommended tire/rim size - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 05, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
Recommended tire/rim size

My wife has green-lighted an upgrade of my tires and wheels (woo hoo!).

I want to go 16" x 8" wheels. Chevy High Performance lists out the largest possible tire/wheel measurements, but I don't want to stuff them in my wells and risk rubbing. So, here's my questions:

1. What is the recommended tire size for these rims (not the largest possible with slight rubbing)?

2. Should all 4 tires be the same size? This would lengthen tire life but what benefits are there for bigger rear tires besides the look? Any handling benefits?

3. What backspacing should I have? Running drum brakes all around now but will upgrade the fronts to disc someday.

I'm thinking about Boyd's Sting Ray wheels. Here's a link:

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/produ...ls.asp?id=1720

Thanks all.

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 05, 06:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Recommended tire/rim size

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram
My wife has green-lighted an upgrade of my tires and wheels (woo hoo!).

I want to go 16" x 8" wheels. Chevy High Performance lists out the largest possible tire/wheel measurements, but I don't want to stuff them in my wells and risk rubbing. So, here's my questions:

1. What is the recommended tire size for these rims (not the largest possible with slight rubbing)?

An 8" rim will hold a tire from 235 to 265, plus or minus a size.

2. Should all 4 tires be the same size? This would lengthen tire life but what benefits are there for bigger rear tires besides the look? Any handling benefits?

The biggest advantage to larger tires in back is that much larger tires will fit there, and look better, ie: fill the wheelwells better. 225 is about tops in front, while 255 is an easy fit in back.

3. What backspacing should I have? Running drum brakes all around now but will upgrade the fronts to disc someday.

I run a 225 on a 7" rim with 4" BS in front, and a 255 on an 8" with 4 1/2" BS is back

I'm thinking about Boyd's Sting Ray wheels. Here's a link:

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/produ...ls.asp?id=1720

Thanks all.
Note: the sizes I'm listing are "comfy" and absolutely not the biggest that can be stuffed in there!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 05, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
Re: Recommended tire/rim size

Thanks JimM. This is harder than I thought...

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode