2 Different Size Tires on Same Width Rim ? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 05, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

2 Different Size Tires on Same Width Rim ?

Ok, Just getting ready to put some BFG's on my stock 69 RS/SS....I see that lot of guys run different size tires on the front & the back....but It also appears to me that they use different width rims on the front than the back...Is this true?

Here is my real question.....I got standard 7" x 15" ralley's w/4.5" of setback on the back and front....I would like to put a bigger tire on the rear just to fill out the wheel well......But I still want it to look fairly stock. So, in order to go wider & taller do I need to get some 8" wide ralleys' for the back or can I just put the wider tire on the rims I have....

Here is the combo I was thinking about:

225/60R15 on the fronts

245/60R15 on the backs

Thanks in advance......Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 05, 11:02 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 2 Different Size Tires on Same Width Rim ?

I think it all depends on how radical u want to go. If you want to go up a size or two you should be fine but just to be sure I would take a trip to my local tire dealer. They should be able to answer any questions that you may have.

69 Camaro RS, 383ci,10.5-1 AFR 195's ported, Comp 286HR, 4340 forged Crank & Rods, JE Pistons, RPM Airgap, Holley 750 HP carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit, 3000 Coan, Be cool, caltracs,12bolt 355 eaton posi..Best E.T. 12.22 @ 112

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 05, 12:44 AM
Senior Tech

www.tirerack.com

they list the rim widths the manufacturer recommends for their tires,
its been helpful for me

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 05, 05:46 PM

RackMan - Those are the sizes I've been thinking about also.

The 225/60 on 15x7 at the front seems to be a popular choice having done a few hours searching through the forums over the last months
you can fit a 235/60 - but at this size some have rubbing issues, some don't depending on engine size/suspension setup.

On the back - for a stock-ish looking car all the 255 tyres I've seen on Ralley wheels - look a little too big for my liking - so the options are:
235/60 or 245 on 7" or 8" rims. I still see a few 245 tyres on the rear that look a little tight also - but I think I remember seeing 15" ralley wheels with different backspacing (4 inch or 4.5 inch) - so that expalins that.
I reckon a 235 on an 8" rim looks real good, and is safe if Backspace unknown.
Checkout the car "MarkR" just bought under the benchracing section - it has 15" Ralleys - 8" wide with 235/60 on the back - and I'm beginning to think this is a nicer look than on a 7" wide rim - as the wheel fills the well out more - but you should never have any clearance issues at stock height - and the gap to the wheel well edge looks good.

For your wheels - I'd do a search for some 245/60 tyres on the back of cars and compare - bear in mind that a 245 on a 7" will bulge a lot more than a 235 which also affects handling. I'd go with a 235 on the back as it will be smarter - will also match diameter closer to the fronts.

Would love to see some pics when you're done!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 05, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK

You looking to rotate or just replace when needed?

-Funk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 07:06 AM

Smile Re: 2 Different Size Tires on Same Width Rim ?

I figure as long as the sidewall of the narrower tire still comes out even or just a schosh past the rim lip, I am fine in front. (I figure this way, the tread should be about as wide as the wheel in the front)..

AND I don't care about bulge, (within reason), in the rear from a wider tire on the same size wheel b/c the tread will be wider than the wheel anyway.

I just have to watch my rear air pressure to make sure it doesn't cup in the middle if too low or hump if too high pressured...

BUT ALL SAID AND DONE!

If you are buying all new, buy what you SHOULD run AND get it right!!

AND measure three times AND order once!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode