Where did you buy your tires and wheels and... - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 05, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Where did you buy your tires and wheels and...

Where did you buy your tires and wheels, and would you recommend them to others on the board?

I am interested in things such as. Did you buy online or from a local store? How did you find their service? shipping? did they offer add ons? How was their customer service? etc..

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 05, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Where did you buy your tires and wheels and...

I bought my TTII's from our local Les Schwab tire dealer. He beat any price I could find. I purchased my tires from Tire rack who also beat any local price I could find including the shipping cost. Then my friend at Les Schwab mounted and balanced them for me.

Dave, 69 Coupe, 383, Q-jet, Thorley headers, 350 turbo, P.S., P.B. console gauges, Tilt wheel, Black with green pearl paint, Black and White Houndstooth interior.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 05, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Last week I purchased some new wheels and tires from 'Newstalgia Wheel" Howard and his gang provided me with the best customer service I have ever received form a company. He also saved me close to $300 on a set of Billet Specialties wheels versus Billet website price. Again outstanding company and awesome service.

Scott

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 05, 09:35 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

I bought my BFG T/A's and Cragar SS wheels from Summit. Great CS, free shipping. Came all mounted and balanced (additional $10 per tire). When you consider the shipping, it was the best price I could find. They were at my house 3 days after I placed the order.

'67 Marina Blue Convertible. L30, PG. All numbers match, 41k original miles.

"The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 05, 09:50 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

A few things to think about when buying tires and wheels online. My local Les Schwab has about the highest prices I have ever seen. When I took in tires and wheel to be mounted they would not "promise" not to scratch a wheel, meaning they would not repair or replace a rim if they ruined it. They also charged $20 per tire if I remember right. I have a few other local stores I do business with and have found that in the end if you buy the tires from them, the price comes out to about the same once they are mounted and balanced (most shops don't charge extra for mounting and balancing as long as you buy the tires there). So if you buy the tires and rims online and you have to take them to get mounted, they are going to charge you more thana normal customer. Your online savings will be used up (between shipping and mounting).

I do usually buy my rims mail order, but I almost always buy my tires locally (even if they have to order them).

The Summit deal doesn't sound too bad at all, I am not sure how long ago that deal was, but I know they DO charge and oversize fee for shipping tires (never bought rims and tires mounted). They also add $8.95 to each order. Add it all up and then see if you can beat it or come close locally.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 05, 10:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mr. Tibbs

Send a message via AIM to ChevyThunder

Tire Rack..you call them or go online...and they are now carrying the vintage line of American Racing wheels ..but in the Bay Area near San Francisco...it is Andy's Tires and Wheels in South SF ..old school tire& wheel shop..looks like they could be shoeing horses in the place..great prices and great work...real hot rod type ambiance...it's a place you could just hang out and talk cars

" Burn rubber not your Soul "
Camaro,Camaro,Camaro,Camaro
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 05, 11:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Where did you buy your tires and wheels and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyThunder
...but in the Bay Area near San Francisco...it is Andy's Tires and Wheels in South SF ..old school tire& wheel shop..looks like they could be shoeing horses in the place...
Man - I haven't been in that place in years...
Is Mr. "Rodfather" still around or involved in it ?
It was a cool place to see some great cars

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 05, 01:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I bought my Cragars from Summit (best price and instock) and my tires (goodyear eagle F1's) would you believe from Walmart! They had to order them and it took a couple of weeks, but they were the best price BY FAR, free mounting and balancing, near free road hazard warantee, and they had good mouting equipment, knew how to use it, treated my stuff as it were thier own, and did a fabulous balance job (I asked them to spin em with the weights on and ensure they got double zero's) they got all the wieght on the inside, balanced a couple twice 'cause they weren't perfect, one took 4 times! (no guarantee you'll always get that level of service...)

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 05, 01:14 PM
Senior Tech
Garry

I purchased my "Hammer 5's" from Intro Wheels in California. Nice set of wheels, little on the pricey side but well worth the money

1969 LM1 Convertible Camaro

The restoration is ON!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 05, 04:54 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I bought my ProStars from Summit (?? $$) and McCrearys on-line from a going out of bussness sale ($120 to the door for the pair).

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 05, 05:21 PM
Senior Tech

I bought my tires from The Tire Rack. They beat the best price I could find locally by about 50%. I bought some 15x7 rally wheels through eBay ($151). Bought trim rings and center caps through Rick's (ask for Gary Clark-you cannot beat his service.)
Good luck,
Mike

69Mike
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 05, 02:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

www.tomzwheels.com seems to have very good prices, and are quick to respond to email. Does anyone have experience with them?
I found them advertising on eBay, but they will sell direct too.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 05, 05:07 PM

Thumbs up Re: Where did you buy your tires and wheels and...

My new Pony-car Bullitt's from Summit at $150/each plus $8.98/four handling and my 225 and 255/45-17's HTZ-II's or whatever from The Tire Rack at $104 and $110 plus $8.00/each S&H!

Great value to me!! But its been several years ago...

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode