15x7 - 4"BS or 4.5"BS ??? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 05, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

15x7 - 4"BS or 4.5"BS ???

Hello 1969 Camaro owners...

I know there's been a lot of discussion over the 4inch backspace versus the 4 1/2 inch backspace for 8inch rims, but what is best to use for 7" ????
According to the posts, original 7" rims were backspaced either 4" or 4.25"
Correct?
I have seen lots of photos of 15x7" wheels on cars - but without knowing the backspace, or what brakes, it's tough to compare.

So, for sheer good looks on the car, is a new repro 4" or 4.5" BS 15x7" rim best? (assuming all tires are in the stockish' 215-235 range)

If you have 15x7inch wheels on your 69, have DRUMS ALL ROUND, and can tell me the BACKSPACE of all four wheels (and what tires too) CAN YOU PLEASE SEND ME OR POST PICS to compare?

Early 69 original rims versus late 69 original rims, disc versus drum brakes... I'm concerned that many, including myself are going to be off to buy new wheels and end up making a bad choice because of not factoring in all the info.

Would really appreciate your thoughts and pics!!!!
Thanks guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 05, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Re: 15x7 - 4"BS or 4.5"BS ???

Hey Frost Green 69,

Well,we have somethings in common...I have a '69 Norwood X-77 that was originally Frost green (code 59) with Midnight Green interior (723).It's certainly a pretty rare color that seems like it's coming back into style after all these years.I work for Ford now (I know,but it pays the bills )and the new Mustang has a similar color called Legend Lime which is kinda resto.
When I bought the car,the previous owner had already changed the interior to standard black (711) and even though I had originally planned to repaint it FG,I chickened out and changed it to Millenium Yellow from the '03 Z06 Corvette and although it freaks out the purists in this world,it makes me happy and it's my car.
The other thing we have in common is that I currently run old-school 15x7 American Racing 200S wheels on my car in the front and 15x8 1/2's in the rear.I'm almost certain the b/s on the fronts are 3 3/4" but I'd have to confirm that.

Hope someone with drum brakes can properly answer your questions and please post some pics of your ride.

John

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 05, 06:00 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Send a message via Yahoo to thedugan

I'm running a 4.5" because it tucks in the tire inside the lip of the wheel well. I use a 1/4" spacer so it does not rub on the inside. I had 4.0" BS but they put the tire out to far. I have pictures of both and will post. I am running a 275-60 BFG Drag Radial so it's a big tire and I don't want the monster truck look in the back.

-Doug
68 RS/SS Conv
67 Coupe

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 05, 04:30 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Send a message via Yahoo to thedugan

Correction, I forgot I replaced the 4.5 BS wheels with 5" BS and a 1/4 spacer on my 68.

-Doug
68 RS/SS Conv
67 Coupe
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 05, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarjohn
Well,we have somethings in common...I have a '69 Norwood X-77 that was originally Frost green (code 59) with Midnight Green interior (723).It's certainly a pretty rare color that seems like it's coming back into style after all these years.I work for Ford now (I know,but it pays the bills )and the new Mustang has a similar color called Legend Lime which is kinda resto.
Can't help with the 15x7 question. I am using (or will be) 14x7 YJ rallys. I did however want to say hi to the Frost Green Guys. My Frost Green / Midnight Green / Black Vinal Top is in my garage slowly coming back to life. Not too many people left these cars green.

BTW, I like the color so much I actually bought one of those new Legend Lime Mustangs. It's almost exactly the same color as the inside of my trunk lid (one of the only places that is not oxidized.)

Chuck B
RI

- Frost Grn, x11, 350 4bbl, COMPCam XE256H, Crane XR-i HEI, M20, posi, Flowmaster 2.5";

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 05, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech

Question Re: 15x7 - 4"BS or 4.5"BS ???

Sorry to hi-jack your post, but I'm still going to try......... Maybe a dumb question, but I'm going to ask. How exactly do you "measure" the backspace of a Ralley wheel? I've got (2) 15x8 Wheel Vintiques ralleys, and need to figure out if they are going to work on my car. I've actually got (2) Corvette 15x8's and two repro's, I'm hoping one pair has a "better" backspacing than the other, and can be used on the front to avoid rubbing, I'm probably going to be running a 235/60/15 tire on the front. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 05, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

There are some helpful links in the post 'stuck' at the top of this forum.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33680

Chuck B
RI

- Frost Grn, x11, 350 4bbl, COMPCam XE256H, Crane XR-i HEI, M20, posi, Flowmaster 2.5";

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 05, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: 15x7 - 4"BS or 4.5"BS ???

Hi guys

Don't worry about the hijacking - I'm going to hijack my own thread now...

It's good to hear from you other Frost Green Owners out there - whether they're still Frost green or not.

I think the most common phrase on Ebay is the line "...originally Frost Green". Was apparently the 4th/5th most popular colour of 1969 - but you try to find one now!!!

For those interested, mine is:
Original YZ Black Plate California car, first registered in June 69, sold from the Pollock-Ravenscroft dealership just down thre road from the Van Nuys factory, where it started assembly in Feb 69.
It's an original Frost Green on Midnight Green car.
307ci, 350THM on the console, Front Bumper guards, Interior Style kit with wood panel inserts in wheel/dash.
Drum brakes all round
2.73 (or is that 2.76 I forget) rear axle
original steel wheels still on car with original dog dish hub caps
original front seat shoulder harness seat belts

Original engine had gone when I bought the car in May this year, but has a nice 350 now. Everything, apart form the engine, and possibly small bits of sheetmetal, is factory original on this car.
I live in NZ and after about 6months of carefull searching I bought the car, which was located outside Troy, Ohio. Had it shipped to LA, then shipped to NZ. I finally got the car 4 months after sending over the money - nearly one year after I started looking for one to buy seriously.
Car runs and drives fine, and is presentable from 20 feet, but is a bit scruffy all round - will be completely restored over coming years.
Came with original dealer stamped warranty booklet with Protectoplate still stuck inside - was never removed!!

I will be restoring the car to it's full glory with all it's original options and colours - but will restore the outside as a Z/28 (so adding black stripes, badges, rear bumper guards) seeing as the 307 is gone anyway and I love the look of Black Z stripes on Frost Green cars.
Might post pics when I know how.

Th only downside - I had to sell my gorgeous 62 coupe deville caddy to buy the Camaro!! - but I did spend 10 years wanting a first gen!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 05, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Question Re: 15x7 - 4"BS or 4.5"BS ???

If anyone can answer my original questions, I'm still really keen to know and see some pics!

4" BS or 4.5" BS - which is the best look on the car for stockish (215-235 tyres)??

Thanks

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 05, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Nice car. Similar to mine when I got it. was 307ci, 350TH, but it had X11 style trim, black top, and full size ugly hub caps. It was all orginal except for bondo from all of the accidents.

At the time I was young and liked the SS cars and found one that had been in a bad accident and salvaged all of the SS components - 12bolt, 350 (not original), M22, disc brakes, hood, Yj rallys, dash and tach, as well as console gauges.

Anyway, I am keeping the car frost green with midnight interior and black top and adding black SS hockey stick stripe.

BTW, here is a frost green Z28. I agree with you about the black Z28 stripes on frost green - http://www.universalautosalesandclas.../69Camaro9.htm

Chuck B
RI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode