camaro wheel's in reply to NO MORE TORQUE THRUST'S - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 05, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Talking camaro wheel's in reply to NO MORE TORQUE THRUST'S

I just went to the car show in Moultrie Ga. looking for some camaro's with unique rims to get an idea for my car. I swear 90% of the camaro's had torque thrusts on them and the others had rally's. Now dont get me wrong those rims do look good but if I had them on my car I would be gettin rid of them fast just because almost EVERYONE has those rims. I was very dissapointed when I left because I wanted to see other rims in person rather than pics on the net. Just blowing off some steam, hope I didnt offend anyone with TTII's.

well dude it's like this a camaro (AND BAD AS I HATE TO HAVE TO SAY THIS) I am talking about 1967 1968 1969 camaro's !
can wear three wheel's
#1 stock wheel's steel wheel's and hubcap's IE rallie's ETC
#2 torque thrust's
#3 cragar's
all in your choice of 14'' or 15'' THAT'S IT

this 16'' 17'' 18'' up to I've heard 22'' wheel's simply SUCK'S on a camaro I would rather have my 67 sitting up on 4 cinder block's than to have 22'' wheel's on it ,
if you want big wheel's like 17''s or 22''s get a hummer or a minivan
I was not offended but felt forced to say something !!!! LOL!!!!

this reminds me of all the kid's riding around in mom's subaru with a tailpipe the size of a coffee can and a big go kart spoiler bolted to the trunklid
I guess times are gonna change BUT I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT !!!!!LOL

1967 RS 327
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 05, 06:38 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: camaro wheel's in reply to NO MORE TORQUE THRUST'S

You know this is getting really stupid! Why start a seperate thread to reply? Why start a fight at all? And why insult many of the folks that help each other here. I don't care what you like or don't like, that's your business and you can voice it without offending. You are not the god of Camaros and have no right to dictate what is right or wrong and insult the folks here that see things different than you.

Damn - did you get a turkey bone stuck in your throat or something?

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 05, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Well said dennis.

Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 05, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Send a message via Yahoo to thedugan

I wonder if Henry Ford was pissed when people started painting Model T's white

-Doug
68 RS/SS Conv
67 Coupe
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 05, 09:45 AM

I went with 17s mainly because I am painting my car silver and IMHO the rally wheels don't look as good with that color. If I would have went red, I probably would have stuck with the rallys. I personally like a lot of chrome on a silver car.

The overall height of the rear tire is 26", the same as my rally wheel. I simply added a little more chrome (actually polished aluminum) and a little less side wall.

In the end, is it really that much different from 15s?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 05, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Talking Re: camaro wheel's in reply to NO MORE TORQUE THRUST'S

LOL!!! good one on the turkey bone !
I don't know I just don't want to see thing's going in the direction that they are , I just have had these car's all my life and now seem's like it's slipping away , purple and lime green gear shift knob's now sit in the auto part's store's where the small block chevy part's used to be , go into most auto part's and ask for a set of point's and you will have to spend the next 30 minutes explaining what points are , this all seems to have got out of hand right after that $#^&%^*ING movie fast and the furious came out ,
ohhhh yea and those spinning wheel's that keep spinning after you stop those are even better than the 44'' wheel's , then you have show's like overhaulin that are feeding this stuff and promoting more people to do the same ,,,
I just like a camaro that is a camaro a chevelle that is a chevelle and a nova that is a nova , the way GM built them is the way we should rebuild them I guess I'm just crazy and should just start collecting stamp's ,
ohh well 10 or 15 years from now I guess it won't matter

1967 RS 327
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 05, 03:47 PM

Yeah, I used to feel the same way. My car is on the rotisserie right now and my intention was making it look stock. Engine orange, all the correct factory stickers front to back, rally wheels, etc.

However, I was at a car show and there was this beautiful 69 Z28 with matching numbers. Even the hoses were correct. I kept looking at it and thought I should have been drooling. When it came down to it, I found the car boring. I can appreciate the work that went into making the car look factory, but some things from the factory are just plain ugly.

Next to the Z28 was a 68 SS Camaro with TTIIs, custom work in the engine bay and interior. Granted it was worth 1/4 of the Z28, but more things caught my eye than the Z28. The car looked good and more people at the show stopped to look at the 68 than the Z28.

At that point I decided to trick mine out. I think a smooth firewall along with a exterior matching engine bay looks better than what came from the factory.

What I won't do is get offended because someone has a boring bone stock looking car and I would hope they wouldn't get offended by my tricked Camaro. It is really about appreciating 1st gen camaros, no matter what state right?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 05, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Talking Re: camaro wheel's in reply to NO MORE TORQUE THRUST'S

yea , I love 1967 1968 1969 camaro's as much as anyone , I pretty much like everything GM made from about 1955 to 1970 they had a good run there ,
certain car's take to custom work better than other's , take a 1949 mercury the more you cut shave chop channel lower drop and tuck on one of them the better it look's , but 67 68 69 camaro's just look so good already the way they are ,

1967 RS 327
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 05, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I like the looks of TT II's and don't really care if they are on every Camaro. I bet there are more Camaros with Rally Wheels on them than anything else (which I have). People have them (rally wheels and TT II's) because they look good. Be different, that's ok but don't get on the rest of us that like em.......................jeeez.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 05, 06:58 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Having lived through "the day" there were very few Camaros with rallys and trim rings. My first '69 had dog dish hubcaps and most 1st gens from the dealer came with hubcaps. Day 2 (my generation) put chrome cragers, ttII's, slots (most common then), western cyclones and cycloneII's. coke bottles and some reverse chrome with moon hubcaps. In '69 only 2,401 cars came with trim rings besides Z28's and 4w disc cars.

Absolutly nothing wrong with any of these choices, it just seems you don't see hubcaps, chrome with moon hubcaps, chrome cragers or others at all. Purests seem to like rallys and ttII's which is their choice.

I appreciate them all and some of the newer stuff to. We have a diverse group here with modern tastes as well as old school, we need to co-exist or we'll beat each other up and turn this place into one of those sites people here seem be glad we are not like... Make your choice, let others make their's and let it go at that.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 05, 03:24 AM
Senior Tech

i like the TT2 for what it is- a moder "old" looking wheel.
i dig old slots even more for that 70's look- but i hope they don't "catch on" with the younger crowd and come out in 20" sizes and suddenly appear on every "tuner" Cobalt or Focus out there.. .
persnally, i think more people should put the black honeycomb Trans Am GTA wheels on more stuff- that is just a damn good looking wheel that "fits" on any car from the 60's to the late model Grand Prix's that have a variation of that style of rim. i know they made my Nova look tough, and they just look perfect on my 84 T Type. they completed the sinister look of the 87 GNX- that car just doesn't look right with any other wheel on it. period.
hell, they even made my stone stock 86 Caprice 4 door look like a bruiser cruiser. but of course, that car had some saggy springs that made it sit about 2" lower than stock...

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 05, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech
Ross

Just my 2 cents here. While at a car show with my 69Z/28 a twenty something young guy asked me if I was going to put a "big time stereo system in my car. Being from an era where we actually raced our cars on the street, I told him that these cars are not about "boom boom" but "vroom vroom". Not to piss on someone's wheels but they don't make a car go fast, maybe just look fast. "eg.COPO" Seems to me that a lot of guy's think that jamming in a big motor with a lot of chrome makes it "the bomb", AKA bling bling. I'll bet a lot of older guys would agree that by the time we got are engines and drivetrain where we wanted them there was no money left for wheels. Big shiny wheels are very nice but not much help when a COPO is blowin' by ya.
Just my 2 cents.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 01:51 AM

I had centerline auto drags on my 68rs and I will be putting centerline warriors on my 69ss. weld draglites and pro stars also look good on camaros.

to say a camaro can have 3 wheels , stock , torque thrusts or cragers is ignorant. Not to mention none of the above listed wheels is worth a damn on a performance car if you plan on taking it to the track at all. neither american racing or crager makes anything but a cruiser wheel with the same generic styles. They arent agressive looking , they are also heavy. I prefer stock steel or a good quality race wheel
Just my 2 cents
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 05, 12:42 PM

Ok, i gotta plug in my $.02 since i had TTII's.

Personally, TTII's look good... period. Regardless if everyone has them. Ricer mentality dictates people's opinions of their own cars, "because if everyone else has them, its not cool"... which is wrong.

Its your own car, do whatever you like, i saw a set of TTII's a few years ago in a magazine and knew that they were a classic looking wheel that made the car looked more modern with a bit more style (in my opinion) than stock ralleys did.

Hell, everyone has a "350" or "383" or even a "454" in their car, does that make it bad and not cool to have one in your car? Hell no, the car needs an engine as much as it needs wheels.

I'm sick of people telling me that i'm just "following the crowd" in buying TTII's or anything else for that matter, i have a brain of my own and can form my own opinion of how i want my car to look. I wanted a set of wheels that was classic, stylish, aggressive looking and functional for what i do with it.

~Eric
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 09:12 AM

havent been in the forum for about ayear , good toknow everyone is still benchracing,re. wheels i went with a different way. when i was in high school (1976) the hot setup was centerline so when the time finally came around in life (2001) to build my 68 i went with them .looks really good with era corect race styling try em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode