rear tires and rims - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 05, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

rear tires and rims

I want to buy weld wheel pro stars for my 68 camaro, I was hoping someone could tell me what the fattest tire I could put on the rear, without problems might be, plus I need to know what back spacing to use for the tires to work properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 05, 08:44 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Re: rear tires and rims

I'm in the same boat. Ordering new wheels over winter. There are several posts on this in the last few months just do a search. Is your car lowered or stock. What size wheel 15",17" ect? I know you said Prostar so I assume 15". I have a max size list from Weld for several cars and wheel sizes that they put out a couple years ago. I've test fit a couple wheels on my car 15"x8" with 4.5"bs and 275/60 R15 is snug but it fits stock ride height. Your safest bet is 255/60 R15 Fits very well no issues. Not tight, even with slightly lowered cars. Again assuming stock brakes rear end ect.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 05, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Yes it is getting a 15" rim, it sits at stock highth. Thank you for your help I will e-mail weld and see if I can get me a max size list also.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 05, 01:35 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

15x8's or 8.5's with 4.5" bs, 275/60/15 tire.

I have 285/60/15 SH with slight rub issue, but I deal with it.
click to enlarge

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 05, 05:57 PM

I've got 15x8 with 4.5 B/s 275-60-15 pics in my sig
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 05, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and the pics.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 08:29 PM

im running 275/50/15 bfgradial t/as on the rear with 15 8.5 auto drags with4.7/8backspacing hadto bend up outer wheel well lip a little bit but does not rub even with2inch drop in rear . the look from behind is hot. ps not a hack job and tires do not stick out of wheel wells , very rodger penske trans am look, good luck
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs68ss
im running 275/50/15 bfgradial t/as on the rear with 15 8.5 auto drags with4.7/8backspacing hadto bend up outer wheel well lip a little bit but does not rub even with2inch drop in rear . the look from behind is hot. ps not a hack job and tires do not stick out of wheel wells , very rodger penske trans am look, good luck
doug your a sick dude, my daughter does the same thing happy hollidays!,,,,doug
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 05, 09:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I tried 15 X 8 wheels with 5” backspace with 255/60-15 tires on my ’67. It looked like they had enough clearance sitting in the driveway but the sidewalls rubbed the inner wheel wells when cornering or entering driveways at an angle. I then installed 15 X 8 wheels with 4.5” backspace and the same tires don’t rub even with a full tank of gas and passengers in the back seat.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode