How do I Remove Wheel Studs from Axle??? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

How do I Remove Wheel Studs from Axle???

I have the stock rearend in my 69. Needing to put longer studs in the rear to accomidate the TT2's. How do I remove the wheel studs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 05, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: How do I Remove Wheel Studs from Axle???

Place an old lug nut onto the stud and whack the nut with a BFH.

Now, if the new studs are so long they will not install into the flange with the axle installed in the housing, then you have to remove the rear diff cover, pull out the diff pinion shaft, remove the C-clips, and pull out the axles to remove/replace the studs. Assemble in the reverse order, don't forget to add oil & posi additive.

To install the new studs, one can press them into the flange. Or, one can use two Gr 8 washers and a Gr 8 nut. Lube the threads and the two washers. Place new stud into flange. Place two washers onto new stud. Thread onto the new stud, the nut. Use the nut to 'pull' the new stud into place. Repeat four more times to finish axle. Pepeat for the other side/axle.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 05, 09:43 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

For maximum differential carrier bearing life it's best to remove the axle shaft and R&R the studs off the car. Using a hammer to remove the studs may damage the carrier bearings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 05, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Just a follow up. Got the studs out and replaced with no problem. First I soaked the old stud with penetrating lubricant several times over the course of a couple of days. Then put the lug nut on and hit with a regular claw hammer 3 or 4 times. Stud popped right out. Then reinstalled the new longer stud by putting in the stud, putting a 1/2" wide set collar over the threads, could use washers, running the nut on and tighting with an impact. The impact pulled the stud into place and all is well.

Thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 05, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Very good!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 05, 12:29 PM

A little confused here, Buildinga55. I put my TT-11's on my stock rearend without any problems. Lugnuts had plenty of thread engagement with the stock studs???
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 05, 01:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I had to replace mine as well on a stock 10 bolt. Maybe someone replaced yours sometime along the line.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 05, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

My stock studs might have stuck out of the TT2's a 1/4" of an inch if that. Probably could have screwed the lug down only 4 or 5 turns. The new stud is about 3/8" longer. Now I can seat the nut about 1/2" or more. This was not a big deal to do or expensive. The studs are $1.49 each at Oreilly and it took maybe 20 minutes to do the whole job. I think the penetrating lub probably helped in the removal.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 14, 04:37 PM
Tech Team
Jason

What wheel stud length did everybody use on their TT2's?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode