TT2 Maintenance - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

TT2 Maintenance

I just orders a set of Torq Thrust II wheels (I know, I know, everyone has them, but the same argument applies to 69 Camaros in general, right?).

Tire Rack called me to personally clear the polished finish with me, because apparently they're hard to maintain. He said you have to wash them every time you drive them, as opposed to the painted and clearcoated finish that's much more durable.

GM ships polished aluminum wheels on the Z06 as an option, so it can't be -that- bad, can it?

Anyone have any experience with that finish on these wheels?

Thanks,
Dave

---------------------------
1969 RS/SS 396 Camaro [MPFI Supercharged 502 Under Construction]
2007 427 Z06 Corvette
1969 Pontiac 2+2 427/390
2003 CL600 BiTurbo Renntech Stage III (635hp - [email protected]) [Sold!]
2006 Range Rover Eaton Supercharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 11:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: TT2 Maintenance

No it's not that bad. Just keep the wheels clean as you would your car. Then you'll need to polish them with aluminum polish every so often. I think the frequency will depend on how much they are exposed to the elements. I've owned the '67 for over 2 years and only polished them once and they look great.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 05, 04:35 PM

IMO, Ill never buy polished wheels again. Ive got them on my 65 Elcamino. I drive it twice a year, and have to polish them before I drive it. They seem to get dull from sitting. My car is garaged, and they still seem to dull. I used every product including aluminum wax/sealers. Still dont seem to work at keeping them shiny.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 05:02 AM

I've had the same experience as ltsracelt1. If you really want them to shine like chrome, expect to polish them often. For that reason I just recently purchased chromed aluminum wheels. Best of both worlds - light weight and easy to maintain.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to 1FASTZ Send a message via Yahoo to 1FASTZ

Guys, it's oxidation that is making your polished rims get dull. It doesn't matter if it's garaged or out in the open, oxygen is everywhere and aluminum is quick to oxidize. It's simply the nature of the beast. The clear coat does hinder oxygen from reacting with the aluminum, thus keeping a longer shine but with time it seems as though the clear coats oxidize too and get chalky looking. I personally prefer the polished bare aluminum over the clear coat option, but I don't mind spending a few minutes on my wheels here and there to shine them up. And for the record, I'm running weld pro stars and there's a lot of aluminum there to keep polished, but you can easily see the difference after doing a little polishing on them.

Marty Lake
1969 Z/28 fathom green X77
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 06:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

What's the best product to polish TTII wheels?

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

davepl, dont use any wheel cleaners on those new wheels, just soap and water until they get some age on them. They shouldn't need polishing for a little while. My experiance, when i use any wheel cleaners on bare aluminum it always dulls them some.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 08:47 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Once your wheels need to be polished. The best thing I've found is Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. Works great. After there polished used Zoop's Zoopseal.
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...h.asp&N=400003
IT WORKS! Keeps your wheels from oxidizing for a year and a half/2 years, and after that you can just polish through it and reseal them. Unlike clear coats.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 05, 10:07 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

You can use a wheel cleaner on them, just make sure its one thats safe for bare aluminum wheels (i.e. an "all wheel" type cleaner). And stay away from any harsh cleaners for the tires also. The Mother's is great for polishing aluminum, but if you stay on top of them, you shouldnt have to polish very often.

Ive used this product. Seems to be really good. Ive also used it on trim pieces and such, but have to say havent used it on a daily driver yet: http://www.poorboysworld.com/wheel-sealant.htm

dave

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 05, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I agree with HarleyD67. When I had my TTII's I used Mother's Billet Polish and WOW what a difference it made. I then coated the ZOOP SEAL and wham they stayed looking new.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode