A little rubbing on front TTII - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 05, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

A little rubbing on front TTII

Just thought I'd run this by you guys. I've finally got the car on the road this fall and my front wheel setup seems to be a little too big. Every so often I hit a dip in the road and the front drivers side tire hits the fender lip. This is what I've got:

front 245/45/17 17x8 bs 4.75
rear 265/40/17 17x9.5 bs 5.5
2" drop in front 1.5" in rear

Is this common for that big a wheel?

I was thinking of downsizing to a 17x7 bs 4.75 to bring the wheels inbord by 1 inch.

Any thoughts?

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...00966276MMawvq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 05, 11:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: A little rubbing on front TTII

a 245 is big. They will scrape the lip, and the rear of the frame when you turn to full lock. Addiitonal backspace may help, but you may not have a full inch. turn the wheel to full lock and measure clearance between the sidewall and the subframe.
What about alignment specs? 1 degree neg camber will buy you some space, and the guldstrand mod will buy you more because the camber will go more negative when the suspension compresses (with stock geometry the camber goes positive!)
I ran a 245 tire long ago, it was hard into the sub when turning, and I had to scalop the top of the inner fender and roll the lip to get the outside of the tire to clear. I run 225's now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 05, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Where does it rub and what are your alignment settings?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

I do have the Guldstrand mod on the car. As for alignement specs, I don't know them exactly but the camber must be around 1 deg neg. The rubbing is on the inside of the fender lip straight in the middle, driver's side. I've mesured the "ground to fender lip" height and it seems to be 3/8" higher on the passengers side. At full lock the wheels rub the frame just a bit.

245 might have been too ambitious. Running 225 seems more resonable. I think I can borrow a set from a friend. I'll try'em out in the spring, we're knee deep in snow now. The Falken tires I have on stick like glue, I've never felt the car was loosing traction while turning. I hope 225 will have enough grip.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 12:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I'm running 235's on the front of the '69 with the same drop and wheels as you. No rubs up front so far. I had to add a 1/4 spacer in the rear with 255/45/17. Seems like when you max out the wheel/tire combo every car has a little different issue to deal with.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

Are the front spring new or did you cut/torch an old set to get the 2" drop. If the latter that may be the problem.

As JimM said you may be able ta get a little clearance with an alignment. Maybe Mr. Pozzi can give you some alingment specs. When running 245/45/17 you need more backspacing ideally 4 7/8" to 5". I have 235/45/17 on 17x8s with 4 7/8" BS and have plenty of room for 245s.

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 06, 09:12 AM

You might just need a little more backspacing. I run the same setup with 245's and don't come close to rubbing anywhere. I run 5" of backspacing, though. I was originally going to get 4.5" bs, but went with 5" bs for the added margin of clearance and it turned out to be the prudent thing to do. I was even considering 275's with extra backspacing up front. I think I would be ok on the frame, but the stock control arms look to be a problem.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 07:58 AM

Ben,

Are you having any trouble with rubbing in the back? Have you had passengers in the back? I'm thinking about the same rear setup in my 67. Did you do the Global West springs to get the 1 1/2" lowering?

I wonder if going to a 235 tire in the front would help your rubbing issues? I would also like to go with 17 X 8 in the front but 5" of backspacing seems like a lot form the measuring I've done. Let me know what you decided to do.

Steve
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 01:48 PM

I just realized that you have a '67. The info I gave you was for a 69, which can handle a slightly fatter wheel and appears to tuck the wheels slightly inboard of the 67-68. You could use a tad more backspacing to solve that, but then you would probably be rubbing on the inside. You might have to settle for 235's in front.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

The suspension is all new Hotchkis. I did have four people in the car at once but I was driving below 35MPH. Didn't have any rubbing in the rear. I find that the rear wheels don't fill out the wheel well enough. There is to much clearance around the wheel. I'll eventually go for a 45 or 50 profile. Live and learn.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 06, 11:38 AM

i have the same tires and wheels as you i ordered 17-8 5 bs and they sent me 4.75 they rubbed so i sent them back and got 5bs no problems since. guys on here told me to order 4.75 then a member emailed me and said ill have problems with 4.75 and i took his word and ordered 5 he was right when i cheacked with the wrong wheel that came in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode