Front wheel backspacing - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 05, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Shawn Ahmann

Front wheel backspacing

I am doing a frame off on a 67 RS.I am finished with the underside of the car and all of the suspension front and rear is new with a stock ride height.I am tired of looking at my car with old scab wheels and tires so I will be ordering new wheels vintique ralley wheels. From all of the good info that I have read on wheels and tires I will be going with 15X8 with 4 1/2 inch backspacing and BF 275/60/15 on the rear. I will be using 15x7 up front but I'm not sure about backspacing and tire size. I'm thinking 4 1/4 or 4 1/2 inch backspacing with 225/60/15 or 235/60/15. If anyone has input on front wheel and tire combo please let me know. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 05, 01:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: Front wheel backspacing

On my 67 I have 8 X 15 wheels with 4.5” BS on the rear and 7 X 15 wheels with 4.25” BS on the front. The tire size is 235/60-15 and 255/60-15. I have no rubbing on the rear even with rear seat passengers and a full tank of gas. I get an occasional slight rub on the top of the right front inner fender when I hit dips in the road. I have new front springs that I have not installed yet. I am pretty sure the new springs and a slight change in camber will solve the rubbing issue. I have good clearance at the front frame rail with the wheels at full lock.

Camaro’s rub the sidewalls in the rear.

Camaro’s rub at the edge of the tread in the front. This can happen at the frame rail while turning or the inner fender while going straight over a dip in the road.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Shawn Ahmann

Thanks for the info Steve. Do you think I will have any problems with 275/60/15's in the rear? I know it is going to be tight and I don't want them to rub but I have read that they will work. Where did you purchase your ralley wheels?You have a nice looking ride. Mine should look real similar when I'm finished except I will be going with silver and black.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 05, 09:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Unless everything is perfect the 275’s will rub. Maybe not rolling the car around in the driveway, but with spirited driving chances are they will rub. The axle will move from side to side, the sidewalls of the tires will flex, and the body will lean. You will also need some clearance when entering a driveway at an angle when one wheel goes up and the other drops down. 255’s fill up the rear wheel wells nicely. 275’s are a good ¾” wider.

I ordered my wheels from Summit.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode