Choose Tires For My Car! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Choose Tires For My Car!

Please help choose my tires, they are going on 18'' Foose Thrustars. I am ordering within a few days.

1)BFGg-forceT/A KD
2)Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position
3)Falken FK-451
4)Kumho Ecsta MX
5)Nitto NT555

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 08:46 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage
Re: Choose Tires For My Car!

I've always liked BFGs.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 06, 09:44 PM
Tech Team

I like the BFG (Best), Goodyear, Firestone, or Dunlop tires. To me, they fit the American mussle car look rather than European or Japan tires.

By the way, your car is looking great.

'69 Glacier Blue X-55 original drivetrain Convertible
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'Awesome 67 Chevelle, '69 C-10 Truck, and my new addition to the family - '67 Corvette'

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 05:05 AM

Ceck this site out,you can see what your car looks like with different tires and wheels.you can even lower it. http://www.autowaretech3.net/nextwheels/are_intro.htm
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I would have to go for the Nitto's. I love how they handle over the Kumho's that i had before and they also look good.

Scott

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slck6t9
I would have to go for the Nitto's. I love how they handle over the Kumho's that i had before and they also look good.

Scott
I planned on ordering Nitto's until I saw Kumho's on someones car. But I'll get the Nitto's if you say theyre better..thanks

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/4-12[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Speedfreek, from my personal exp. I like the Nitto's over the Kumho's for the looks and for the traction. They just flat out stick to the road when the power is applied. They also handle a little better in the rain(just my experience). The Kumho's however have a better price tag though. Also I think the wear is better on the Nitto's from what I've read. Just my thoughts though...

Scott

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slck6t9
Speedfreek, from my personal exp. I like the Nitto's over the Kumho's for the looks and for the traction. They just flat out stick to the road when the power is applied. They also handle a little better in the rain(just my experience). The Kumho's however have a better price tag though. Also I think the wear is better on the Nitto's from what I've read. Just my thoughts though...

Scott
Thanks slck6t9, I'm crossing out the Kumho's.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 03:55 PM
Senior Tech
Rex

Everyone has there own opinion on tires....some like BFG, but they are a French owned company. Nitto is good, But the Bridgestone S-03 will out preform anyone listed, and it probably has the most agressive looking tread on the market, but they can be a little high. They come with a thirty(30) day test drive, so you have nothing to loose, just go to a Firestone dealer to get them. I am going to put new tires and rims on my 69 soon, and I think I am going to go with the Firehawk Wideoval. I have a friend that has them on his vette and he loves them. as for the S-03's. I know another guy who has them on his 04 Z06 and swears by them. It is always your choice, get the one you like best.

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 07:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex70
....some like BFG, but they are a French owned company. ...
Is that bad? But Japanese tires are ok?

The BFG KD's are dry road tires (kd = killer dry, I have read) - hit a little water and they will be skates. Guys at PT seem to like the KDW-2 for wet & dry use. I can't vouch for the rest.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13

Last edited by BonzoHansen; Jan 5th, 06 at 07:13 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 07:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
Is that bad? But Japanese tires are ok?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen

The BFG KD's are dry road tires (kd = killer dry, I have read) - hit a little water and they will be skates. I can't vouch for the rest.
Best I can tell BFG is affiliated with or either owned by Michelin I think everyone has known that but me. I had some on backorder and heard "their coming from Michelin". As far as the KD series the KD's are dry the KDW's are dry/wet and the KDWS's are dry/wet/snow. The KDW's are going through a thread redesign (the -2) and some sizes are hard to get (my backorder). I had to cancel the backorder for KDW's because I didn't want to wait and went with KDWS's. After a nice little burn out these tires are much stickier than I thought they'd be.

Edit: So I agree, I think these French Fried tires work as good as the Japs.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18

Last edited by rojo; Jan 5th, 06 at 07:46 PM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 06, 09:14 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Personally I like the BFG's. To me it's more of a brand loyalty thing. From experience with a friends 4th gen the nitto NT555's have the best traction. Although he is a die hard BFG man too.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 01:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Yes BFG and Uniroyal are owned by Michelin, marketed in the Americas as MAST (Michelin Americas Small Tires). Have been for years. They have quite a spread down in South Carolina. BFGs havenít been made by the actual Goodrich company (a chemical company) in many moons.

I bet a lot of folks donít realize that Bridgestone/Firestone are owned by the Japanese. Also for many years.

TC Member #13
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 01:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I work within 1 mile of the Michelin plant in Greenville SC and until recently never knew of the BFG deal. I've never seen the first sign of a BFG logo anywhere on that plant or a truck with a sign on it or anything. Guess it just goes to show you never know just what's in your own backyard.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 06, 06:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo
I work within 1 mile of the Michelin plant in Greenville SC and until recently never knew of the BFG deal. I've never seen the first sign of a BFG logo anywhere on that plant or a truck with a sign on it or anything. Guess it just goes to show you never know just what's in your own backyard.
Nice area. I went there for 3 days of training waaaaay back in 92 or 93. I remember a place called Crazy Horse maybe.

Actually, my aunt and uncle, another uncle and a cousin moved to Woodruff around 94 I guess, which I guess is right around there. My uncle passed a few years ago, but they really seem to like it down there.

I loved that guy, a GM tech for 30 years. He taught me that if you forget to replace the bolt that holds the fuel pump rod in place during a build you leak a lot of oil. Another nice moment is when we were talking about my 82 T/A and he looked at me and said 'you know the crossfire better than any of the techs I work with' (which probably doesn't say much for those techs). Nonetheless I was happy.

TC Member #13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode