Budnik vs Billet Speciatlies - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Budnik vs Billet Speciatlies

I need a few HONEST opinions on wheels. I am ordering new wheels for my 69 RS. I have narrowed my choices to the following:

Budnik Cobalts 17 x 7 front 17 x 8 or 18 x 8 rear

Budnik M5's 17 x 7 front 17 x 8 rear

Billet Specialties same as above.

I have TT II's on now. 17 x 8 front 4.5bs 17 x 9.5 5bs. Rears hit and it sounds terrible when that happens.

I have 2 questions 1. which wheel will look the best on black w/white stripe? Car has wildwood disc brakes 11'', 454 big block. I want to lower the back a bit, maybe 1-1.5 inches. I'm thinking if I go with 18's in rear I can get the up and inside the fender look. Pics of either would be a big help.

Also, going with Nitto 555's and 555R's t. Question 2. What is the biggest tire I can put on the rear on the 8'' rim. I am looking for a tire that is about 27-28 inches tall. Fronts will be 235's.

Sorry so long on questions but, if I am going to spend this kind of $$$$ I do not want make a mistake.
thanks in advance for pics and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Re: Budnik vs Billet Speciatlies

I am in the same boat as you, the 555r will be less than 28'' tall. What size tire scrubbed and is that 5.5bs? I am going with 18'' Budniks since I cant get Foose in the right sizes. I think the safest tire to go on the back is a 275.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 06, 05:39 AM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb Re: Budnik vs Billet Speciatlies

You didn't say which style Bill/Spc wheel but the bottom line is they are 2 good companies - I personally lean towards Budnik based on my experience with them and their service but that's just me. I'm sure there is good and not so good with both companies. If you go with "flat lip" wheels you can use 17x8s in the front with a 235/45-17 with 4.75" of backspace. Budnik makes the Flat lip in a 18x9 and you can use a 255/45-18 (which is taller than the 275/40 and you'll have more clearence) with a 5 3/8s backspace in the rear. There are several cars on Buknik's website that you can look at or you can also go to www.lateral-g.net where there are lots of Camaro's to look at. Do a search also this has been discussed over and over again. Good luck with whatever you chose.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 06, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek
I am in the same boat as you, the 555r will be less than 28'' tall. What size tire scrubbed and is that 5.5bs? I am going with 18'' Budniks since I cant get Foose in the right sizes. I think the safest tire to go on the back is a 275.
I have a 17 x 9.5 with 5.0 bs, tire is a 275/40/17 drag radial. Rubbing on inside tub. I think that I am going with the Nitto 450. I can get them in 275/50/17. That will give me the diameter that I 'm looking for to fill my fender well. My ideal tire would be a drag radial in 275/50/17. However, I cannot seem to find one unless I want to mix-match front and rears.
See ya.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 06, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Budnik vs Billet Speciatlies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28rs
You didn't say which style Bill/Spc wheel but the bottom line is they are 2 good companies - I personally lean towards Budnik based on my experience with them and their service but that's just me. I'm sure there is good and not so good with both companies. If you go with "flat lip" wheels you can use 17x8s in the front with a 235/45-17 with 4.75" of backspace. Budnik makes the Flat lip in a 18x9 and you can use a 255/45-18 (which is taller than the 275/40 and you'll have more clearence) with a 5 3/8s backspace in the rear. There are several cars on Buknik's website that you can look at or you can also go to www.lateral-g.net where there are lots of Camaro's to look at. Do a search also this has been discussed over and over again. Good luck with whatever you chose.
Sorry about that. The Billet choice is Vintec Dish. Thanks for the input. We talked about it over the weekend and we are going with 17's. 17 x 7 front
3.5bs and 17 x 9.5 in rear with 4 3/4 bs. Wheel choice is Vintec dish.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 06, 07:18 AM
Senior Tech
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 502prostreet
I need a few HONEST opinions on wheels. I am ordering new wheels for my 69 RS. I have narrowed my choices to the following:

Budnik Cobalts 17 x 7 front 17 x 8 or 18 x 8 rear

Budnik M5's 17 x 7 front 17 x 8 rear

Billet Specialties same as above.

I have TT II's on now. 17 x 8 front 4.5bs 17 x 9.5 5bs. Rears hit and it sounds terrible when that happens.
For starters it may help to post links to the rims.
Budnik Cobalt's
http://www.budnik.com/roadwheeldetai...3&pid=517&pg=1

Budnik M5's
http://www.budnik.com/roadwheeldetai...3&pid=698&pg=3

Billet Specialties Vintech Dish
http://www.billetspecialties.com/ite...scid=47&pid=79

Personally I have the Budnik Cobalt's:
....17x8 4 7/8" BS with 235/45/17 front
....17x9.5 5.5" BS with 275/40/17 rears

With this combo and all new suspension I have no rubbing, but it is very close in the rear and the rear fender lip is rolled. Up front I could easily fit 245s and will upgrade next time I need new tires.

If I was going to order again I would get 18 inch Cobalts front and rear. Personally I think they just fill up the wheel wells better.

If you go with the Budniks order them though DSE. I was originally going to order from Budnik directly and they told me the Cobalts would not clear my calipers. I eventually called DSE and they said they would fit and would send Budnik the proper specs.

Quote:
I have 2 questions 1. which wheel will look the best on black w/white stripe? Car has wildwood disc brakes 11'', 454 big block. I want to lower the back a bit, maybe 1-1.5 inches. I'm thinking if I go with 18's in rear I can get the up and inside the fender look. Pics of either would be a big help.
As far as which rim will look best on black w/ white stripe car is very subjective. If you like them buy them as it is your ride and your paying.

I highly recommend the Cobalts, but my only concern in your case is you only have 11" discs, which are fine, but with the Cobalts the rotors and calipers are very visible. That is one of the reasons I went with them to display my 13"/12" Baers.

Quote:
Sorry so long on questions but, if I am going to spend this kind of $$$$ I do not want make a mistake.
thanks in advance for pics and advice.
Picking rims was the worst decision I had to make. The thought of doing all this work, spending tons of cash and end up picking the wrong set of rims is nerve racking.

If you go with the Budnik's order them through www.detroitspeed.com They had the best prices, even Budnik said DSE had the best prices, and can answer any questions you may have as they are very familar with theses rims. I would also look at getting them ceramic coated (clear). At the time I ordered it was an extra $75 a rim, but $$$ well spent as it cuts down on the cleaning time.

Good luck and if you need pics PM me your email address.

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 06, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech

502prostreet your backspace is 1" shallower than almost EVERYONE else is using. Are you sure? Do you have a narrowed rear? What about the front - narrowed control arms? If not MEASURE carefully. Too much money to spend and not have them fit. I have seen 17x7s in the front with as much as 4.75" of backspace. If you error it is always better to error on a LITTLE too much backspace then not enough. You can always add a small spacer if you have to - but to go the other other way you can only mill the pad (not perfered) or re hoop the wheels (expensive). I don't mean to sound too harsh here but you are using backspaces that are way shallower than everyone else. The wheels you picked are great looking wheels - good luck - enjoy.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28rs
502prostreet your backspace is 1" shallower than almost EVERYONE else is using. Are you sure? Do you have a narrowed rear? What about the front - narrowed control arms? If not MEASURE carefully. Too much money to spend and not have them fit. I have seen 17x7s in the front with as much as 4.75" of backspace. If you error it is always better to error on a LITTLE too much backspace then not enough. You can always add a small spacer if you have to - but to go the other other way you can only mill the pad (not perfered) or re hoop the wheels (expensive). I don't mean to sound too harsh here but you are using backspaces that are way shallower than everyone else. The wheels you picked are great looking wheels - good luck - enjoy.
JV69,
We ended up with 4''bs up front with 245/45/17 and 4.75bs outback with 275/40/17. Also went with 555's front 555r's outback. We also are running a Moser 12 bolt and we think it is 1'' shorter than stock. We are going to measure it this morning to make sure.
I am like you, it's alot of $$$$ to be wrong.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

I won't try to tell you which "style" rim looks best because that is just personal taste. I can tell you Budnik wheels are awesome. The fit, finish, and polish is top notch. Did I hear someone say Cobalts

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 06, 03:05 PM

i agree, call the kyle tucker at DSE. he'll answer your questions. i talked to him before i order my budnik knuckles for my '69. if you search around you can find group purchase from DSE that will save you some money. i have 18x8 w/4.875bs (front) and 18x9 w/5.25bs (rear). i was going to get the cobalts but feel in love with the knuckles at the last minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode