space saver spare info - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Gary

space saver spare info

I have just gone through all the posts about the space saver spare for a 69 camaro. I learned a lot about them in these posts, yet they all seemed to come down to the final answer and they just stopped. Does anybody know what the correct codes are for the spares? Also, if they weren't available for Z's or Copo's because they won't fit disc brake cars, then I would assume that would be the same for an SS or any disc brake car. If so, hunting for a correct space saver for my SS for the sole purpose of originality would be a total waste of time.
I have found one with a date code of K 1 9 and an XA, and as someone else on this site, I believed it to be a Nov. 1, 69 code, but that was ruled to be out of a 79 car. How did they code the 69 wheel? I also read where the early wheels had two valve stems in one. Is this the only way to determine the difference?
Thanks,
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 09:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Norm

Re: space saver spare info

Gary, I also have a 69 SS X55 and am also interested in the same answers to your questions. My car has GM of Canada documentation which shows it as having been origionaly delivered with the space saver tire option (N65). So, I guess you could assume that disc brake cars (at least SS cars) could be ordered with the space saver.
Norm

69 Camaro SS X55
70 Camaro RS/Z28
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 09:57 PM

Gary, K 1 9 isnt a true date code.. K stands for kelsey-hayes 1=romulus plant and the 9 is for 1969. xa is the code for the specifics of that wheel. ie..xg is a 14x6 rally wheel for a frnt disc brake car. I dont see a first gen. code "xa" in my book,which consiquently doesn't have the space saver listed either. so track down "xa".

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 06, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Gary

Thanks guys, I did find the same info today about the K standing for Kelsey Hayes. I am going to assume this particular one is for a 79 since it has two seperate valve stems. The info on the Candadian car is going to keep me looking for one that is correct for a disc brake car. If I have any luck, I'll let ya'll know. Thanks, Gary
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 06, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Gary

OK, it just dawned on me tonight that my 70Z has a space saver spare. I pulled it out and it has K 1 7 then another 7 on the left of the stem and a 25on the right. It has a single stem and then some type of a stubby a few inches to the left. This car is very original, but that's not to say the spare is. Would they have use a 7 instead of a 0 for 70? How many different inflation devices did these things have. Anyone got one XT wheel for sale. This is to confusing. Gary
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 06, 09:29 PM

Gary,7 is the month and 25 is the day.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 06, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Gary

Jake, so is the 7 after the K 1, for 1977? It only has one valve stem and what looks like a plug or something in the wheel. Gary
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 06, 11:59 AM

Gary,These guys will be more help with the xt wheel and xa code than me, Talk to Eric. Good luck

http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/wheels.html
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 06, 12:33 PM
Senior Tech
E

Cool Re: space saver spare info

I finally dug out a space saver rim that I have had since 1980.

It is stamped XG...K-1-0 so it must be a 1970 issue.
Oh, and it is a rally rim!

It still has the trim ring, BF Goodrich space saver tire on it and I was looking at the back spacing and it looks like it will clear a disc set-up;
could try that on my 69 Camaro to see if it clears.
Update: I mounted this rim on my Camaro with the 2-piece rotor and it cleared the caliper and spun freely!
I definatley think that I would never run this if ever there was that emergency of need to do so! Scary low to the ground!

The rim is a 14 X 7...

1969 VN PACE CAR 396, M20, #'s

X44, CE-427, M20, C BE, 712 50 50

Last edited by RPOZ11; Mar 12th, 06 at 05:21 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 06, 01:43 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

No space savers were available for the 15" Z28 wheels.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode