Question on rim sizes - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage
Question on rim sizes

Presently on my 68 I am running 15 x 8 rally rims with a 4" backset. For tires 235 60 R15's. I get rub on the front wheels. Would changing the rims to 15 x 8 with a 4 1/2" backset cure this problem? Anyone running this configuration?

Thanks

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 08:25 AM
Tech Team

Re: Question on rim sizes

Yes I am running them right now. I have 15X8 with 4.5 Backspacing. I do have some rubbing but its because I need to center up my subframe. The tire I'm running is smaller too it is 215 65/R15.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 08:29 AM

Do either of you have a dropped front end? I have a 2" drop and was trying to figure out what I am going to do up there...I am thinking the 15 x 8 with a 4-1/2 to 4-3/4" BS...or maybe I will have to go with a 15 x 7 rim...it would be nice if it was clear cut as to the max on each configuration or some type of table that gives you the rim size, tire size, and backspace for each application...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK

Liveinaz,

I have 15x7 4.25" BS with a 235/60/15 in the front and had a minor rubbing issue with a fender bolt. I will be installing a set of Hotchkis springs in the front and don't anticipate any rubbing issues.

My final ride height in the front will be right at 14" from the center of the rim to the fender lip.

-Funk

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 11:21 AM

You had the rubbing with or without a dropped front end? I am to the point of needing to order some rims, but not sure what is going to work...I have to have them custom made due to the backspacing, at least that is what they are telling me. I wonder what the most backspacing you can go would be, or would that not have helped with the rubbing?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

I don't believe the rubbing was due to the ride height. I think the size of the tire/rim combo caused the rubbing of the fender bolt. It wasn't that big of a deal to just pull the fender bolt. I get no rubbing lock to lock on the subframe.

I haven't installed the Hotchkis front springs yet but I don't see an issue when I get them installed.

There are plenty of us running 15x7 235/60/15's on the front with a 4.25" BS that don't have any rubbing issues.

-Funk

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech

I just went through this on my 69 about a month ago!!!! I don't think a 15x8 will work regardless of the backspacing, switch to a 15x7 rim and all problems will be solved!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 01:37 PM

Running a 15 x 7 with a 2" dropped front end, what would the backspacing be? 4-1/4, 4-1/2, or 4-3/4?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Thanks for the feedback...I'll look at the 15 x 7 4 1/2" BS for the fronts in hopes of curing my problem.

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 09:19 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Live,

If it were me I would choose a 4.25" or 4.5" BS.

-Funk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode