Rear tires rubbing outer edge of quarter - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 06, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Question Rear tires rubbing outer edge of quarter

I have 255-50R-17's on the rear and anytime I take a turn or get into the pedal the rear tires rub at the outer upper rear area of the tires. Can anyone tell me the best way to cure this problem? (lifting blocks, air shocks, longer shackles) The car is a 1968 RS/SS with multi leaf springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 06, 05:11 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Re: Rear tires rubbing outer edge of quarter

I'm assuming the reason your asking is because you don't want to get new wheels with a different offset. All of the things listed will raise the rear of your car. The shackles are in my opinion the quickest and easiest way. For about $20 at any local parts store, and your in business with a set of universal adjustable shackles. Just make sure to run them as low as possible and trim the rest of the shackle off so we don't have to look at them. Air shocks will give you a stiffer ride,and lifting blocks can be a safety issue in a performance application. (not to mention a more involved install)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 06, 05:16 PM
Senior Tech

Raising the rear is NOT the best solution. We need some more info - what width rear wheels - how much back space? The best solution would be to replace the rear wheels with wheels with more back space but if the rub is slight maybe you can roll the fender lips. Eastwood sells a tool to do it or a baseball bat works if you know how to use it. You have to roll it over the tire and work the lip upwards. With that size tire it sounds like the back space on the wheel is the problem.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 06, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK

Do you have the chrome wheel well mouldings installed?

-Funk

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 06, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I do have the chrome trim around the wheel opening. I do not want to change my wheels. Thats why I am trying to find a cure that doesn't include changing wheels. Thanks for everyones input!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 06, 07:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I have 255-45-17's on my 68, with 8", 4.5" backspace rims and no rubbing. what basckspace are your rims? 4" backspace will rub.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 07:23 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK

The reason I asked about the chrome trim is my rears rub a bit but they rub on the trim. The trim extends into the wheel well more then the fender lip does. If I were to remove the trim I wouldn't have any rubbing.

Just a data point and something to noodle on.

-Funk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode