1967 Convertible Spare Tire - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 06, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Send a message via MSN to 19HoosierDaddies67
1967 Convertible Spare Tire

The spare tire I currently have in my trunk is a full size spare. It says on the tire: Laredo, The Rain Tire, 1738-408, 66X 365, 7.35-14 replaces 7.00-14, 4 Ply Rating- 2 Ply, made in the USA, Uniroyal U.S. rubber, Uniroyal Super Low Profile, and on the most inner edge near the rim it says Uniroyal Laredo 19630L, V-1 7.35-14, Meets Rma-1 & SAE J918a. Also the tire has the white stripe on the front wall, and the rim is black.

My questions are this: Does this sound like it is original? Is this the right size either way? If it is not the right size, What size should it be? The tire seems like it is too wide, I can't seem to fit the jack under the spare like the assembly manual says it should be for a convertible.

Thanks for your input

1967 Convertible Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Cool Runnin Camaros:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 06, 05:00 PM

Question Re: 1967 Convertible Spare Tire

Sorry, I can't tell you b/c I ordered my car with Firestone Redline D-70/14 wide ovals and got (5) of them.

That size sounds right, but I can't say about the brand but do know that there were Uniroyals used on our cars back then...

pdq67

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Re: 1967 Convertible Spare Tire

I am not sure about the brand, but I did do a search and found a thread about the same tire that I have. Dont think that there was a definitive answer though about its originality. I am mostly concerned about the size since my jack will not fit under the tire as the manual says it should, the tire seems too wide and it hangs on the under side of the trunk hindge brackets on the passenger side.....

previous thread:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ght=spare+tire

1967 Convertible Camaro

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 06, 05:26 PM

Smile Re: 1967 Convertible Spare Tire

I don't think mine ever did either once I used it the first time!! I know it was always rattling around back there most of the time.

Oh, bttt! Try the "Coker Tire" site and see if you get a match on the tire??

pdq67

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 06, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Thanks for the suggestion of Coker tire Pdq.. The tire on their website for the standard camaro is just like my spare, except my spare is a Uniroyal. Does this Coker site sugest that the original tire was a BFGoodwrench or that they currently make the reproduction?

http://www.coker.com/store/customer/...79&cat=&page=1

1967 Convertible Camaro

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

If my car came with the tires pictured above, what type of hubcap would have been on there? I read somewhere about the wire wheel caps and a mag type cap. I am thinking about trying to get a set of original 14" wheels, tires and caps for shows and what not. Does anyone have any pictures of what I would need to make my car correct? I would like to know what I am looking for when searching the web.

1967 Convertible Camaro

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 06, 06:03 PM

Smile Re: 1967 Convertible Spare Tire

Fwiw, I ordered mine with body paint steel, (stock 14" x 6"), wheels with dog-dish hubcaps and D-70/14's b/c I was going to install deep dish CRAGAR chrome reverse as soon as I could save the money and get to KCMO!! AND I did!!!!

I don't think you can tell unless you have a build sheet.

pdq67

PS., and I still have all 5 of them....................

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 12:35 AM

I remembered your post when I was surfing around and came across this pic of an original 67 l-79 vette spare...hope it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode