calling all wheel/tire gods!! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando
 
tejasrs/ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: McAllen, TX
Posts: 1,674
calling all wheel/tire gods!!

Ok fellas..here's the situation...could someone tell me PLEASE what is the ideal size and most importantly the backspacing I will need to get some 17's under my 67 RS/SS. First I should tell you what mods have been made or will be by the time the car hits the road...

Hotchkis TVS System which will...
lower front end 2 inches
lower rear end 1 1/2

Baer Track 13" rotors in front and 12" Sports in the back. I called Baer about the differences in the backspacing and they told me that their system will quote "narrow it by 1/8" on each side" I have no idea what he meant and he couldn't explain it either! I'm hoping someone has added Baer brakes and can tell me what they experienced.

OK THIS IS WHAT I'M HOPING I CAN DO

Front 17x7 (what backspacing and what size tire?)
Rear 17x8 (what backspacing and what size tire?)

OR can I go with a 17x8 in the front and 17x9 or 9.5 in the rear and what backspacing there?? I don't want to mini-tub and I'd rather not mess with rolling no fender lips either.

Sorry for the long post but my wife said I could use the income tax money to buy my wheel/tire combo and I want to do all my research before she changes her mind!! HA HA

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
tejasrs/ss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 06:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Yorkville, Illinois USA
Posts: 22,121
Re: calling all wheel/tire gods!!

For a comforatable fit, 225/45 on a 7 w/4" backspace in front, 255/45 on an 8 w/4.5" bs in back.

Bigger can work too, but I never suggest it, if you want bigger, do some measuring.





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
JimM is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 07:22 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 58
Re: calling all wheel/tire gods!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejasrs/ss
Ok fellas..here's the situation...could someone tell me PLEASE what is the ideal size and most importantly the backspacing I will need to get some 17's under my 67 RS/SS. First I should tell you what mods have been made or will be by the time the car hits the road...

Hotchkis TVS System which will...
lower front end 2 inches
lower rear end 1 1/2

Baer Track 13" rotors in front and 12" Sports in the back. I called Baer about the differences in the backspacing and they told me that their system will quote "narrow it by 1/8" on each side" I have no idea what he meant and he couldn't explain it either! I'm hoping someone has added Baer brakes and can tell me what they experienced.

OK THIS IS WHAT I'M HOPING I CAN DO

Front 17x7 (what backspacing and what size tire?)
Rear 17x8 (what backspacing and what size tire?)

OR can I go with a 17x8 in the front and 17x9 or 9.5 in the rear and what backspacing there?? I don't want to mini-tub and I'd rather not mess with rolling no fender lips either.

Sorry for the long post but my wife said I could use the income tax money to buy my wheel/tire combo and I want to do all my research before she changes her mind!! HA HA
Armando,

I have a 68 Camaro with the exact same brake set-up as you. I went with 17 x 8 wheels with a 4.75" backspace on all four corners. Front tires are 245/45/17 and rear tires are 255/45/17. I do get some rubbing on the fronts when I hit a large dip in the road, but nothing that damages the tires. A 235/45/17 would have probably fit better, but I am still happy with the 245's. I think most guys are using somewhere between 4.75" and 5.0" backspace on the front. My car has 2" lowering springs in the front and 3" lowering springs in the rear.

On the rear you may be able to go with a 275/40/17 on a 17 x 9.5 wheel with 5.5" backspace. I have read about several guys with that size wheel on first gen camaros that report no to minimal rubbing issues.

As far as the Baer brakes, I was told it would increase the wheel backspace requirements by about 1/4" when switching from the stock drum brakes.
Woody68 is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 06, 08:43 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 286
Re: calling all wheel/tire gods!!

I am running 225/45/17 on 7" with 4" backspacing and 255/45/17 on 8" with 4.75" backspacing.

I have a 2" drop in the front and I dearched the rear springs 1 and 1/2".

I will post some pictures with the front clip on this Sunday.

I am actually going to start it for the first time (hopefully) Saturday.
jhilts is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 06, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando
 
tejasrs/ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: McAllen, TX
Posts: 1,674
Re: calling all wheel/tire gods!!

thanks for the info guys. Yea pics would be great! Woody68..are you running your stock a-arms to go with the 4.75 backspacing in the front?

Also does anyone have a pic of a 17x9.5 wheel in the rear of a 67-68 Camaro? I would love to go that wide if possible. Also let me know what the backspacing is! Thanks!

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
tejasrs/ss is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 06, 11:11 AM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 58
Re: calling all wheel/tire gods!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejasrs/ss
thanks for the info guys. Yea pics would be great! Woody68..are you running your stock a-arms to go with the 4.75 backspacing in the front?

Also does anyone have a pic of a 17x9.5 wheel in the rear of a 67-68 Camaro? I would love to go that wide if possible. Also let me know what the backspacing is! Thanks!
I am running DSE upper and lower tubular control arms. Here is a picture of my car.


http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00308lp.jpg
Woody68 is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 06, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando
 
tejasrs/ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: McAllen, TX
Posts: 1,674
Re: calling all wheel/tire gods!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody68
I am running DSE upper and lower tubular control arms. Here is a picture of my car.


http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00308lp.jpg

AHHH..I wonder if that allows you to use the added backspace?? I'll be running my stock upper and lower a-arms

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
tejasrs/ss is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 06, 04:15 PM
Senior Tech
Scott
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the wind...
Posts: 1,437
Re: calling all wheel/tire gods!!

Woody,
I'm almost done with my DSE setup and ready to order wheels also...would 5" BS work better up front?
Scott

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
67FamilyFun is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 06, 04:42 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 58
Re: calling all wheel/tire gods!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67FamilyFun
Woody,
I'm almost done with my DSE setup and ready to order wheels also...would 5" BS work better up front?
Scott
On my car, I think that 5" BS would have been a little better. I do not have any problems with the wheels hitting the frame with the 4.75" BS and think that the additional .25" BS would be better. If you get too much BS you may run into problems with your wheels hitting the frame at full lock. However, you can always use a spacer to move the wheels out some. You don't have that option if you get a wheel with too little backspace.
Woody68 is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 06, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech
Carl
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: La La Land, CA
Posts: 2,707
Re: calling all wheel/tire gods!!

Check my website for tire/wheel info.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CarlC is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 06, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando
 
tejasrs/ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: McAllen, TX
Posts: 1,674
Re: calling all wheel/tire gods!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC
Check my website for tire/wheel info.
Thanks Carl but you aren't using the stock A-arms on your car. Nice car BTW! But without folding fender lips and changing the a-arms to aftermarket, what is the maximum width I can go on the front and rear of my car?

I'm beginning to think I that the best I can do is 17x7 up front and 17x8 in the rear just to be on the safe side???

jhilts...I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your ride~! thanks

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
tejasrs/ss is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 06, 03:56 PM
Senior Tech
Jason
 
jay'srs/ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,059
Re: calling all wheel/tire gods!!

tejars/ss,

I haven't got my car back from getting all my stuff installed. I'm picking it up on Monday, i can't wait!

So we've got the same brake & suspension set up, except i got Speedtech Tubular A Arms Top & Bottom. I mounted my wheels on before i took it to the shop. 17x7 4.75 BS & 17x8 5.5 BS for the rims with 225/45/17 & 255/45/17 tires. Before everything got put on, i could barley fit my fingure between the tire and the inner fender front & back. After my brakes went on, i could easily fit my fingure between the tire and body. So the discs are wider than the drum brakes were. So much in fact that i had to get longer wheel studs.

So i think 17x7 4.5 BS & 17x8 5.25 BS would be real safe. I don't think i'll have any problem with the way i've got my car set up. I'll let you know when i pick up my car if it's okay.

My Cars:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 Lemans Sport 350 w/ 48k Original Miles!!! SOLD!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD!!!
88 Camaro IROC-Z SOLD!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD!!!
jay'srs/ss is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 06, 09:54 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 46
Re: calling all wheel/tire gods!!

im not a safe kinda wheel guy , i like to stretch it a bit so ill tell you what i did. i did a lot of measuring and went with your same brake package (baer) and went 285/40/17 rear with 5.34 bs and 245/45/170front with 5.00 bs 17/9.5 rear and 17/8.00 front , its tight but looks kill. little fenderwell lip massage.. fits fine and thats with 2"" drop on all corners. remember baers rotor will extend your fronts out by1/8 inch. your tire sidewall bulge measurments dont really extend past a larger diameter rim so your safe to use a larger wheel IMO. i was using 15x 8.5 with 275/50/15 prior on rear with 4/7.8 bs but the side wall bulge is just about the same as the 17'' combo (measurement wise ) my car is a68 for ref,,,
dougs68ss is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 06, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando
 
tejasrs/ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: McAllen, TX
Posts: 1,674
Re: calling all wheel/tire gods!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay'srs/ss
tejars/ss,

I haven't got my car back from getting all my stuff installed. I'm picking it up on Monday, i can't wait!

So we've got the same brake & suspension set up, except i got Speedtech Tubular A Arms Top & Bottom. I mounted my wheels on before i took it to the shop. 17x7 4.75 BS & 17x8 5.5 BS for the rims with 225/45/17 & 255/45/17 tires. Before everything got put on, i could barley fit my fingure between the tire and the inner fender front & back. After my brakes went on, i could easily fit my fingure between the tire and body. So the discs are wider than the drum brakes were. So much in fact that i had to get longer wheel studs.

So i think 17x7 4.5 BS & 17x8 5.25 BS would be real safe. I don't think i'll have any problem with the way i've got my car set up. I'll let you know when i pick up my car if it's okay.
hey jay,

ok buddy, except for the tubular a-arms of yours we pretty much have the same suspension. I look forward to seeing fresh pics of your ride!!

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
tejasrs/ss is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 06, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando
 
tejasrs/ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: McAllen, TX
Posts: 1,674
Re: calling all wheel/tire gods!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs68ss
im not a safe kinda wheel guy , i like to stretch it a bit so ill tell you what i did. i did a lot of measuring and went with your same brake package (baer) and went 285/40/17 rear with 5.34 bs and 245/45/170front with 5.00 bs 17/9.5 rear and 17/8.00 front , its tight but looks kill. little fenderwell lip massage.. fits fine and thats with 2"" drop on all corners. remember baers rotor will extend your fronts out by1/8 inch. your tire sidewall bulge measurments dont really extend past a larger diameter rim so your safe to use a larger wheel IMO. i was using 15x 8.5 with 275/50/15 prior on rear with 4/7.8 bs but the side wall bulge is just about the same as the 17'' combo (measurement wise ) my car is a68 for ref,,,
hey Doug..I'd love to see a pic of your tire wheel combo! I headed out tomorrow to order my new wheels!

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
tejasrs/ss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome