Quicky on front wheel backspacing - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quicky on front wheel backspacing

18x8's going in front of my 68 camaro. What is the best backspacing to get minimal to no rubbing? 4.5"???

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 05:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: Quicky on front wheel backspacing

Might depend on tire size as well. I'm running 17x8 4.75bs with 235/45/17. A lot of guys here run the same setup. This is on a lowered '69.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks rojo...the fit looks good on your '69.

Anyone else? Got to order them today and want to make sure I do this right.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 08:11 AM
Team Member
Christropher

Not a lot of folks here running 18s, so replies might be slow in coming and limited.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 08:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Good point on the 18's. He will have to run a 40 series tire to get the same results.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech

i have threads all over this and i think i was making some people bash there heads on counters here.. ( sorry guys, youv'e been good to me) i was trying to run 18x8 with 255/45 and 4.5'' b/s even with235/45 i don't think it will work but i am a newbie so try and read some of the forums if you can and just start writing stuff down JimM one of the moderators was very helpful along with harleyd67 you might be able to pm them and they could give you all the info you need. i was told anything over 25 inches tall in the front was pretty tough to get to fit but 25 and under was good. hope this helps. Rich
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Where do you run into the trouble...is it in the back by the chassis or the front lip?

What would be the safest setup? I got 18x10s in the back, and really want to keep the 18" size up front. Is 5" backspacing gonna be too much? I dont mind loosing a hair on my turning radius if thats what it takes. Im willing to mess around with the fender as well to help with clearance...I guess the chassis is the biggest concern right now.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 08:42 PM
Senior Tech

5" of backspace would be better than 4.5" You may get some minor rubbing on the inside against the frame. A 235/40 tire would probably clear with no issues. There are people running 245s also but that gets tight if the car is lowered alot. Don't forget brakes play apart in the backspacing - some disc brake kits push the wheels out a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode