Foose Nitrous - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Foose Nitrous

I WANT TO PUT 20X10 IN THE REAR AND 20X8.5 IN THE FRONT OF MY 69 CAMARO SS CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY HAVE DONE THIS OR IF THEY FIT THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Foose Nitrous

I doubt it! How low is the car? If it is lowered 3" or more I think you are going get rubbing front and rear. The front 1st - an 8.5 wheel will work in the front with a backspacing of about 5 1/4 plus or minus an 1/8" with a 245 tire but I think a 245/35-20 will be way too tall. I think someone makes a 225/30-20 but then there is NO sidewall. I know for a fact a 235/35-19 on an 8" with a 4.75 to 5" backspace will work. Now the rear a 10" wide rear wheel almost always causes rubbing in the rear without rolling the outter lip and beating in the inner wheel well in the top of the tire area. You need a backspace of about 5.75 with the 10' wheel. What tire do you want to run? A 255/35-20 would probably fit without to big a deal but the tire will be stretched on that wheel. A 275/35 may work with minor rubbing after rolling lips and inner fender pounding. There are odd sizes also in 265 widths and there is the 285/30 also. How much rubbing are you willing to live with? If the car is low and you want to drive it and people are going to ride in with you I would advise you to either be preparred to work at getting them to fit or backoff a little on the sizes. Common choise is 18x8 with a 225/40-18 and 20x8.5 with a 255/35 tire. That works - several people have done it - no rubbing issues - bigger can be made to work but be prepared for alterations.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28rs View Post
I doubt it! How low is the car? If it is lowered 3" or more I think you are going get rubbing front and rear. The front 1st - an 8.5 wheel will work in the front with a backspacing of about 5 1/4 plus or minus an 1/8" with a 245 tire but I think a 245/35-20 will be way too tall. I think someone makes a 225/30-20 but then there is NO sidewall. I know for a fact a 235/35-19 on an 8" with a 4.75 to 5" backspace will work. Now the rear a 10" wide rear wheel almost always causes rubbing in the rear without rolling the outter lip and beating in the inner wheel well in the top of the tire area. You need a backspace of about 5.75 with the 10' wheel. What tire do you want to run? A 255/35-20 would probably fit without to big a deal but the tire will be stretched on that wheel. A 275/35 may work with minor rubbing after rolling lips and inner fender pounding. There are odd sizes also in 265 widths and there is the 285/30 also. How much rubbing are you willing to live with? If the car is low and you want to drive it and people are going to ride in with you I would advise you to either be preparred to work at getting them to fit or backoff a little on the sizes. Common choise is 18x8 with a 225/40-18 and 20x8.5 with a 255/35 tire. That works - several people have done it - no rubbing issues - bigger can be made to work but be prepared for alterations.

so a 20x8.5 will work in front and back with a 255 35 20

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 08:28 PM
Senior Tech

The 255/35-20 is 27" tall - I doubt that tire is going to work in the front - It's been done (27" tall but a 255/45-18 tire) but I have only seen it once and it looked very very tight because of the height. It was close on top and at the edges in the front and rear. The 225/30-20 will probably fit and it falls within the reccommended rim width but there is no side wall - the tire is only 25.5" tall - so the sidewall is only 2.75" tall - less about a 1/2" for the wheel and you have about 2" from the wheel to the ground. That's not enough for me but you need to decide if that's the look you want. I would drop back an inch or two in wheel diameter but that's up to you.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 09:37 PM
Senior Tech

the foose nitrous wheel only comes in i think 4.5 inch backspace but if you were to add disc brakes that gives you another half inch therefore making it five inch b/s.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 06, 05:26 PM

The Foose wheels are junk,A freind of as a set of nitrous wheels and the chrome plating is flaking off.they are made in china,go figure,not even made by Foose
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 06, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket22 View Post
The Foose wheels are junk,A freind of as a set of nitrous wheels and the chrome plating is flaking off.they are made in china,go figure,not even made by Foose
So your friend had one set of bad wheels, which makes them all junk?

Isn't that a bit of a blanket statement?

BTW, Foose is a designer, not a manufacturer.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode