another whats the largest tire size ??? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 06, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

another whats the largest tire size ???

Hey all.....going to the drags(yer probably sick of hearing it) for the first time tuesday night..and gonna run my street tires and see how it goes. After that I'm really interested in picking up a set of slicks and some new wheels to mount em on so I can try the car with some traction.....with the street tires I can't seem to find any traction on the street, hoping the track is a bit better with a burnout and a touch lower tire psi. Anyway, long story short, what should I be looking at for slicks, size wise? My rear end is a 9" ford, but it's been shortened to stock 67 Camaro dimensions, with stock wheelwells,,, I'd like to get all the rubber I can, but I don't want to buy a tire that is too big and hits my fenders. thanks for your help in advance, Jeff

1967 Camaro, 468cid, 530 Hp, 515 ftlbstourque, 9 inch w/4.11 gears,detriot locker, 4 wheel disc brakes, th400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 06, 01:21 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: another whats the largest tire size ???

At the top of the page is a good tool (spread sheet) for what fits. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33680
28x10.5 on a 15x8 with 4.5" back space is about max.
*** measure first due to production variances***

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 06, 02:23 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
At the top of the page is a good tool (spread sheet) for what fits. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33680
28x10.5 on a 15x8 with 4.5" back space is about max.
That's all I needed to know. 28" on a 15X8, according to everything I find on Summit, pretty much amounts to a P275 60R15.
So my next question is:

I'd like to know from people here, what brand of tire seems to hook best. I need it to be a DOT drag slick.
I've seen on Summit, radials vs non-radials and different designations for for the type of compound.
What works the best for launches? I have about the same setup as Jeff22 does except I have 4:88 gears.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 06, 02:35 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
Hey all.....going to the drags(yer probably sick of hearing it) for the first time tuesday night..and gonna run my street tires and see how it goes. After that I'm really interested in picking up a set of slicks and some new wheels to mount em on so I can try the car with some traction.....with the street tires I can't seem to find any traction on the street, hoping the track is a bit better with a burnout and a touch lower tire psi. Anyway, long story short, what should I be looking at for slicks, size wise? My rear end is a 9" ford, but it's been shortened to stock 67 Camaro dimensions, with stock wheelwells,,, I'd like to get all the rubber I can, but I don't want to buy a tire that is too big and hits my fenders. thanks for your help in advance, Jeff
I have the same setup you do except for the gears. Mine are 4:88.
With street radials, I just drive around the water and clean them off once. Heating them up real bad will just make them worse.

Traction on the street is impossible but I haven't tried DOT slicks yet.

I'd really like to know your times. It would be great data for me. Especially your 60' times.
Good luck!!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 06, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

I'll post my times after I run tuesday coming...although it'll only be on street tires and my first time running. But none the less I'll post em on here, and keep you informed....It seems we are running very similar cars, so keeping in touch and informed on each other changes and results could really help out... Jeff

1967 Camaro, 468cid, 530 Hp, 515 ftlbstourque, 9 inch w/4.11 gears,detriot locker, 4 wheel disc brakes, th400

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 06, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
I'll post my times after I run tuesday coming...although it'll only be on street tires and my first time running. But none the less I'll post em on here, and keep you informed....It seems we are running very similar cars, so keeping in touch and informed on each other changes and results could really help out... Jeff
You sure got that right.
I'll be highly interested in how you do. I'm thinking pretty serious about Mickey Thompson P275 60R15 drag radials. I run 90/10 shocks up front and 70/30 in the rear, so I don't want to take up all the room available, that rear fender is bound to sink down at launch if those MT's hold some traction.

With the kind of setup you got, once you do find some hook, its going to either break something or lift those front tires up. Maybe not but that is a lot of power you have there. One things for sure, I'd prepare for it just in case.

Good luck at the track!!!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 06, 07:49 PM

Here is how I am GOING to do this!!

I am going to pick up a cheap pair of 17" x 9" or 10"(??) steel roundy-round wheels and use something like a 295/50-17" slick b/c the lower shock mount will fit up inside the 17" inner rim so that I can move the tire in farther! Like about 1.5" or so farther vs a 14" or 15" rim!!

My old L-60's measure a modern 298/53-14 so I had to raise my rear up using coil-overs to get them to fit right and even then, on a 9" rim with a 3.5" b/s, they just did stick out to the chrome lip..

Talk about a muscular looking set of rear tires!!

pdq67

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 06, 06:42 PM

The 28x10.5 with an 8" wheel, is that without rolling the fender lip or rolling the lip. Just curious.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 06, 01:23 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

yes on most,that is with a 4.5"bs wheel.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

Last edited by DOUG G; Sep 8th, 06 at 01:28 PM. Reason: double post
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 06, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech
Johnny

Thumbs up Re: another whats the largest tire size ???

I have the BF Goodrich drag radials 275/60 15's on 15x8 on my car. You can drive them on the street (never got a ticket) and take them to the track. I have very little spin. The guys I have raced are still at the start line while I'm half way down the track lol. I had to re-arch my springs because the rear fender was too close to the tire.

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 06, 05:53 PM

Hey johnny 67, I have a couple questions if you can answer them. First, Is it possible to patch a hole up on the bfg's? I picked up a screw in one of mine
and leaks like no tomorrow. Second, how much can you rearch or dearch the leaf springs and where do they do it? I'd like my camaro lower so I assume I would want them dearched.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 06, 06:33 PM
Senior Tech
Johnny

I honestly can't remember ever having to fix a hole. I would ask the dealer where you bought yours to find out for sure.

With the arching and de-arching I know you can do both but it is a little beyond my knowledge of how much you can do. Right now I am having a problem with the shock length and mounts so I ordered the shock extenders and 68' multi plate mounts. So what I'm saying is do a lot of research on the lowering of your car to save you from frustration.

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode