Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

69 coupe tires and wheels question

Hi guys, I have a 69 coupe that came with the following wheels and tires:

Front:
American Wheel-Torq-Thrust II 17X7 1/2, looks like about 4" backspace. M&S NT450, 225/50 R17 94V

Rear:
Torq-Thrust II 17X8, 4" backspace, M&S NT555 P245ZR17 89W

My back tires will bottom out on a big dip in the road occasionally, I have some air shocks back there that solve the problem without too much raising up, so it doesn't look rediculous.
The right front tire will rub on the wheel well lip with a left turn.

I wondered first if other guys have used this combo, and what problems if any they may have had. 2nd, is this setup too big for my car.
3rd, I wonder if this could just be a spring issue, since they appear to be original. I'm also going to be going to aluminum heads soon. Will that make much of a difference in front ride height?
I appreciate any and all comments and info from you guys. You are the best.
Thanks,
RJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 69 coupe tires and wheels question

As far as I know American doesn't make a TTII in 7.5 wide. So the front is either a 7 or an 8 . 4" backspace is not enough. If it's a 7 it should be at least 4.25" or 4.5" if it's an 8 it should be 4.75" or 5.0". Backspace is the key with these cars! People are running 8.5 wide front wheels with 245 series tires on cars that are lowered 3" with no issues. In the rear up to a 9.5" wide wheel with a 5.5" to 5.75" backspace and up to a 275 series tire works on a lowered car. If you have to raise your car to stock height or higher you have the WRONG wheels! Do a search - we discuss this all the time. There is lots and lots of what fits and what doesn't info.

Last edited by JV69z/28rs; Sep 12th, 06 at 06:19 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 06, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Re: 69 coupe tires and wheels question

Thanks for the info. I was sort of afraid that the backspace wasn't enough, but the fact that the right front tire is the biggest offender for rubbing made me wonder if the front springs were really weak. Having seem the sizes of tires and wheels people are running though makes me feel you are right about the backspace. Thanks much
rj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode