69 wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 06, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

69 wheels

Hi guys, I have a 69 coupe and have had tire rub issues. I have determined thanks to you guys that I don't have enough back spacing. I have Torq-Thrust II's 17X7 on front and 17X8 on back. Looks like only 4 or 4.5 inch backspace.
From what I have read, it looks like I could run 8.5X17 with 4.75 backspacing and P245 series tires on the front, and 9.5X17 with 5.5-5.75 backspacing with P275 series tires on back. Is this going to be too tight? or am I pretty much assured of having enough room with these sizes??
If this is too tight, please suggest a size of 17" wheels and tires that will look good that I know will fit ok. Any help appreciated.
RJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 06, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 69 wheels

1st you need to make sure your car is straight. Make sure you have the same amount of clearence on both sides of the car. Also the suspension and subframe bushings have to be in good shape. If not you may have rubbing issues no matter what advise we give you. If you are going with TTII's in the front 17x8 with 4.75 backspace and you can go with a 235/45-17 tire to have a little more room for error. In the rear a 17x9.5 with 5.5" of backspace. The 275 tire is tight back there and you may get minor rubbing on the inside crossing over some curb cuts. If you want to be safe you can go to a 255/45-17 tire. Some people here have done that. With that said keep in mind ride height and brakes can change these specs slightly. Also these cars are 35+ years old and some are more the worse for wear than others. Confused yet? You should be - the best bet is to test fit if possible or take carefull measurements.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 06, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Re: 69 wheels

Thank you sir, The tires I have on now look like they would fit just fine if I had the corect backspace. I thank you much for your response. I will heed your recommendations. Sincerely,
RJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode