Rim/Tire help needed - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 06, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Rim/Tire help needed

Was wonering if a 15x8 rally with a 5 inch offset with a 275/60/15 tire mounted on it will fit on the rear of a 67 camaro. If not what is the biggest tire and rim combo I can use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 06, 03:56 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Re: Rim/Tire help needed

i'm running a 275/60R15 tire on a 15 x 8 wheel with a 4.25' backspace on the back of my '69 camaro. i did have rubbing problems with the prior 15 x 8 rally wheel that has 5" backspacing. you may have to roll the fender lip to make it fit.

Bill

1969 Camaro RS Convertible, 350/700R4, front disc brakes,8.5 10 bolt rear w/ 3.73 posi
1999 Camaro Z28 m6 345K miles
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech
John

billscamaro stated "i'm running a 275/60R15 tire on a 15 x 8 wheel with a 4.25' backspace on the back of my '69 camaro. i did have rubbing problems with the prior 15 x 8 rally wheel that has 5" backspacing. you may have to roll the fender lip to make it fit."

I might be missing something but follow me on this, Bill states:
1.0 Both rims are 15x8 and both tires are 275/60/R15.
2.0 The 4-1/4" bs works, the 5" b.s. rubs.

So this has to mean it rubbed on the inside of the tire because going from 4-1/4" b.s. to 5" b.s. moves the tire toward the brake drum.

So how will rolling the fender lip help anything? Am I right on this?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 02:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Quote:
= So this has to mean it rubbed on the inside of the tire because going from 4-1/4" b.s. to 5" b.s. moves the tire toward the brake drum. So how will rolling the fender lip help anything? Am I right on this?
You are correct. Rolling the fender will not help. A straight edge should be placed across the back side of the rim and then measure to the back side of the center plate/disc where the bolt holes are.... this will be the backspace. The higher the number 4", 5" the further inwards the rim/tire will go. It it rubs on a 4 1/4 backspace its gonna rub alot more on a 5" backspace rim !

Kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode