Tires for the "back half job" - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 06, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Tires for the "back half job"

I am thinking of ordering some of my stuff for my back half job on the camaro now so I donít have to get slammed with everything in one shot. Which tire would be better for my pro street camaro The PRO STREET RADIAL HOOSIER 29x18.5-15 ($279 no tubes needed) or the M/T SPORTSMAN PRO 29x18.5-15 ($209 tubes recommended) is there much difference in hooking up, or ride quality? I will also order my convo pro rims at the same time, but how much back space is the normal for a 15x14" wheel?

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 06, 10:33 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Re: Tires for the "back half job"

As far as back spacing; is it a standard width axle or are you going to narrow it?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 06, 11:00 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

I run the MT Sportsman 29x18.5x15, but have never ran a tube in them. I've had them actively on the car for the last 3 years and never had a problem (air leakage that is...). I like the looks of the new Radial version of the MT Sportsman.

I'd think your backspacing and rim width in general would be tied to the width of your rearend housing, frame narrowing, etc... Another thing that "could" come into play is the inner lip on your rear quarters also. I know on mine there's a fine line between "just fitting" and what would be a horrible rub job going on either side (quarter lip on the outside and shock mount area on the inner).

Do you have your rearend narrowed and setup yet?

Blown 69 RS Camaro

383 Small Block
Dyno: 578 Horse - 595 LB/Torque

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 06, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Harley I am going to go with a narrowed 9"

Blown69 I have not ordered the rear-end or other stuff yet, My bud called and got a list of the parts I need from "Art Morrison" my quarters have been tucked (not stretched) when I had it painted a couple years ago, I thought I would get my tires and wheels, and fuel cell now so it don’t look so bad when the wife looks to see how much I am going to spend for the rest of the job.(the kit has to wait until I finish the house project) Do those tires you have hook up for you? Or would you rather have the Hoosier pro street radials?

Joe
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 06, 06:17 AM

I run the 31X16.5 M/T on mine and have no tubes or leak problems. Traction is pretty good at the track. I get 1.40 60's running 10.3's.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 06, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the replys. sounds like i don't need tubes if I go with the M/T. What kind of ride quality do they have and how are they if you were caught in the rain?

Joe
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 06, 08:16 AM

Hey Joe, I am not sure where you are located and if you have bought your components yet but I have a '69 Nova that I have decided not to tub. I bought the complete Art Morrison ladder bar kit, 15x12 Weld wheels, M/T 29x18.5-15 and I have one 15x6 front wheel. Now that I am going in a different direction, I have no use for these components and would love to pass them along to someone who may have a use for them. If you or any one you know has an interest, have them drop me a line.

James
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 06, 08:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

I had the Hoosier 29x18.5 Pro Street Radials on my 70 Nova and had no problems at all

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 06, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey Joe, I am not sure where you are located and if you have bought your components yet but I have a '69 Nova that I have decided not to tub. I bought the complete Art Morrison ladder bar kit, 15x12 Weld wheels, M/T 29x18.5-15 and I have one 15x6 front wheel. Now that I am going in a different direction, I have no use for these components and would love to pass them along to someone who may have a use for them. If you or any one you know has an interest, have them drop me a line.

James

Hi James I am looking for convo pro wheels, but I might be interested in the tires and other components, are the NOVA back half parts the same as my 69 camaro? Could you e-mail me a list of everything you got to sell? I live in Wisconsin .
My e-mail address is [email protected]

Joe
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 08:42 PM

My apologies....the tires with my set-up are actually 29x15.5x15.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 06, 11:04 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

What is the backspacing on the rear wheels?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 06, 05:58 AM

If my memory serves me correctly, the backspacing is 6.5".
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 06, 07:20 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Just a little info that might save you some heartache later. Buy the rims and tires you want to run first, you will then build the car around the wheels and tires. Back spacing is totally up to you. My personal preference is to keep the wheel somewhat centered (meaning not too much back space or too little). If you run a lot of back space it can make getting the tires and wheels on and off the car a real pain.

Most backhalf kits are generic, meaning they are not design for one make or another. One kit will fit several models.

You can't really buy any parts until you know what size rims and tires you will be running, this will dictate, how wide your rear end will be, how wide or narrow your frame rails will be, etc..

If you look at the photos of the project I am building now you will see how I went about setting up the rear suspension.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 06, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks camaromman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode