69 Z28 tires E70/15 Goodyear's or Firestone's? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 06, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

69 Z28 tires E70/15 Goodyear's or Firestone's?

Looking to put the old school tires on my Z. I love the way they look!
Sure, I have heard they drive pretty bad. But that's ok.

I know some folks are running the Goodyear Wide Tread tires on these. But what about the Firestone Sport Car 200's? These cars came with both but most everyone goes with the Goodyear Wide Treads. My car still has the original Firestone 200 in the trunk and its pretty cool looking. Mainly because I have never seen another one in person. But anyway, I know I can buy both kinds but I am not sure which one to go with. For looks alone I think I like the Goodyear. But to be different from the rest and correct I like the idea of the Firestone. (Being correct, meaning this is what my car came with....)

Does anyone know if one tire is better than the other? Maybe one will last longer or drive a bit better???

Thanks for the info!

WAC

WAC

TX
69 Camaro SS/RS X22 L78, 4spd, Hugger Orange, Houndstooth Interior
70 Chevelle SS LS5 w/ 77k Original Miles, #'s Matching, Auto, Cowl Hood, Buckets, Tripple Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 06, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Re: 69 Z28 tires E70/15 Goodyear's or Firestone's?

Anyone run these tires?

WAC

TX
70 Chevelle SS LS5 w/ 77k Original Miles, #'s Matching, Auto, Cowl Hood, Buckets, Tripple Black
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 06, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

Hi,
Sorry I dont have any experiance with the original tires as they were long gone including the spare on my Z, but if it were me. I would put the Firestones on it since you know that is what was on your car.

Just my 02
Nick

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 06, 09:31 PM

Coker Tire Company re-pop's them from the original moulds if not mistaken

pdq67

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 06, 01:49 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.C View Post
Looking to put the old school tires on my Z. I love the way they look!
Sure, I have heard they drive pretty bad. But that's ok.
That's OK? Really? To each his own, but I've been active in NCRS Corvette judging for many years, and I don't know anyone who uses bias-ply tires (repro or otherwise) for anything except judging and driving on and off a trailer. Compared to radials, they're just plain scary to drive on.

JohnZ
CRG
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 06, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

JohnZ is 100% correct. I bought a set of the repo Goodyears and let me tell you it was like i drank a bottle of Jack Daniels they were so scary.
1 trip from the shop to the house ( about 5 miles ) was enough to convince me, i went back ( after i calmed down) and put the radials back on, it was just not worth risking crashing my car over. I drove on the originals years back in the early to late 70,s and they were never that bad.
I know that the firestone belted wide ovals are not to bad to drive on, not sure about the Sports Car 200,s.
Just my .2 cents worth.
Mike.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 06, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
That's OK? Really? To each his own, but I've been active in NCRS Corvette judging for many years, and I don't know anyone who uses bias-ply tires (repro or otherwise) for anything except judging and driving on and off a trailer. Compared to radials, they're just plain scary to drive on.

Wonder how they did it in the 60's and early 70's????
But I catch your drift. I am not 100% on getting these. But like I said, I LOVE the way the look. If they are truly that terrible, then I will have to look deeper into this.
Thanks for the tip!

WAC

TX
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 06, 05:50 PM

Thumbs up Re: 69 Z28 tires E70/15 Goodyear's or Firestone's?

And to think I had my OEM Redline D-60/14's on the front and 29" to 29.5" tall Firestone 9.50/14 Town & Country Mud & Snow tires on my car the night I was running anywhere from 120 to 145 mph for 20 or so miles between Moberly and Macon, MO back about the summer of '67 so go figure!!

pdq67

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 06, 07:48 PM
Senior Tech
John

I drive on bias ply tires on one of my "collector cars" and while I agree they are not as good as radials, they are not the nightmare that everyone is saying they are. Nothing "scary" about them if you have a little common sense. Why bias ply? For me it is a period correct thing.

If they were as bad as everyone says they are there wouldn't be any original old cars left, they would all have been totalled.

It's all relative. New technology, buy definition, makes previous designs sub-standard. But that doesn't mean the previous techonology is unsafe.

From 1909 thru the late 70's bias ply tires were hi-tech. That is a lot of years. A little perspective goes a long way.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 06, 07:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I wrote Coker a year or so ago and asked why can't they design a radial tire with the proper sidewall design of the Goodyear and Firestone logos. Seems like you would get the best of both worlds.

They didn't seem too interested. In fact, I can't even remember what their reason was for not trying it. It seemed like I had a little trouble understanding where they were coming from.

Larry
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 06, 10:13 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Maybe the word scary is the wrong term to use, maybe it should have been freaky? Let me define my term "scary" - Driving on a well maintained major road in Calgary ( 45 mph limit ) it was very unerving, the car would dart this way or that with no ryhme or reason. This was particularily noticed it seemed when other cars were beside you making it even more eye opening.
I had this car stored for about 8 years with old belted tires and they were about the same to drive on as the bias plys.
Now maybe if you played with the alignment specs including more neg. camber to achieve a greater contact patch, it would have helped the situation. My car had a current wheel alignment with a little more + camber than stock, the Z28 original specs use a lot of negative camber, which chops off tires IMHO. The front suspension is in good shape by the way, with a NOS Idler arm and NOS bushings.
The wheels and tires were spun balanced on a state of the art tire balancer, and at least 2 of the tires took a awfull lot of weight also. They were inflated to factory specs. Coker tire does not sell the Goodyear Wide Tread tires by the way, they come from Kelsey Tire.
I have driven some cars with reproduction BELTED tires and they were not to bad to drive on.
My common sense told me to take the reproduction Wide Treads off and put my 15 year old Eagle GT radials back on, but that is my opinion, so please make your own decisions. Personally i will never use them again.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 06, 06:53 AM

I will say this that the only time my car EVER darted was when I installed radial and non-radial on it front/rear!!

Then it became scary!!

Took them off FAST and ran all the same design tire after that!!!!

pdq67

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 06, 07:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Do not run bias ply on the rear and radials in the front. I've done it twice on two 1969's that I have owned. But it should not be done. Bias ply tires are also referred to as diagonal belted tires because the belts run diagonal to the sidewall. This is what causes the stiffness in the sidewall and the "period" correct look in the sidewall design.

Radial tires have the belts running side to side in relation to the sidewall. This is what allows radials to flex and provide better handling, cornering and braking. This also allows radials to ride better. Bias ply tires will generally dry rot sooner than radials will. Bias ply tires also have a ribbed tread design. This may be quieter on the highway, but that is your only benefit. If you drive it on the street I would recommend radials all the way around.

When I sold tires between 1990-1998 I would tell customers who were towing their car, boat etc. to go with Heavy Duty radial trailer tires (Load Range D) as opposed to the old school bias ply tires. The Goodyear Marathon's were excellent for this as was I think Cooper and one other manufacturer. It's been so long I forget. Some prefer the bias ply tires and were replacing them every year or so since the trailer was parked outside in winter. Remember in 1990 you would see some cars from the late 1970's with bias ply tires on them or cars from lets say 1976 that bought bias ply tires as replacements in 1983 and needed tires again in 1990. The guys with big old Cadillacs like ribbed bias ply tires so they went with ribbed radials as replacement tires. Those cars were tanks and traction was not an issue even with the ribbed (think the front of a semi-truck tire and that is a ribbed design)

Your car will handle strange, dart, dog track and bounce all over with bias & radials on it. None of the OEM car or tire manufactures recommended bias in the rear and radials in the front when the radial craze took off in the late 1970's & through the 1980's. Most owners manuals do not say this today because bias ply tires are not made as replacement tires anymore (unless it's Coker or someone like that for a specialty item).

You can run radials in the rear and bias in the front according to some OEM owners manuals. But no one ever did that. Today all manufacturers for rear wheel drive cars will suggest that bias and radial tires are not to be run even with the bias up front. And lastly NEVER EVER put a bias ply spare on the same axle as a car with a radial tire!!
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 06, 08:32 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

When I bought my 1st Camaro it had radials on it (mid '70's) and I was use to driving bias ply tires. Talk about a scary change, the radials either had traction or or didn't. I had the tires loose in a corner and the road surface changed and the tires grabbed and tossed the car in the other direction... After fixing the damage I put bias plys on the car... Today I wouldn't have a driver without radials, a trailered show car is a totally different thing and would for originality.

My point here is when these cars came with bias ply tires they were not squirrelly out of control cars and many freeways had 70mph speed limits. Modern tires are much safer (blowouts and road hazards) and handling and ride quality is greatly improved. That's enough to warrant using modern tires on a driver.

If you want the look put some 205/70-15's with white letters on your rallys they are just about the same size as E70-15. 2 out of about 100 people looking at your car will even say anything about the tires unless you bring it up...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 06, 08:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

I agree with DjD on this one. It's a big difference going from bias to radial. DjD do you remember the issues Firestone had with their 721 (7 around 2 around 1) was their commercial. I think this tire came out in about 1979 or maybe 1980. Lots of problems. The problem with a lot of the old radials is they had the ribbed tread design like the front of a semi-truck tire. In snow & heavy rain that was horrible!!

Some of the guys older than me that were old enough to own a car with original bias ply tires hated radials when they came on the scene. I know radials had a lot of blowouts back in the late 1970's when these tires were 3 or 4 years old with 20-30k on them. Heck some radials made in the mid to late 1980's were also junk.

Firestone had issues with their tires on Ford Explorers back in 2000 & 2001. Most of these tires were old dry-rotted radials that were 6 or 7 year old tires in hot climates. But some tires had a bad mold just like Uniroyal had with their Tiger Paw Plus designed in the mid 1980's. They were bad from the start.

Bottom Line: Just like DJj said, Unless it's a total show car, a trailer queen or a trailer, get some 15" Rally's with some White Letter radial tires and you will be just fine and much happier. Heck, even people with old boat trailers now run radials on them.

Last edited by South Side Goons & Hitmen; Oct 30th, 06 at 08:52 AM. Reason: radial
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode