17 inch American Racing TTO's - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 06, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Eke
Senior Tech
James Brown

17 inch American Racing TTO's

I have a 69 RS with stock front end, multi leaf rear springs, with a 10 inch rear. I have installed a CPP 4 wheel disc brake system and now need wheels and tires. I can't measure clearances as I have the front and rear, and the body shop has the body.
I want to put 17 inch American Racing TTO's (the 309 series, the originals) with either 225/50-17's or 245/45-17's. The wheels are 8 inches wide with a 4.5 inch back space with no offset. I want the nostalgic look with the improved handling and new tire technology.
Anybody used this set up? Does anyone have any thoughts on clearance issues? Will the 245's fit in the wheel wells without scrubbing?
Any and all help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 06, 04:54 AM
Senior Tech

Re: 17 inch American Racing TTO's

There are many variables with what fits and what doesn't - the 2 most important are the condition of the suspension (bushings - inc the body mounts) and ride hieght. Then you need to know if that brake kit pushed the wheels out further (maybe a 1/4"). The front wheel backspace that almost everybody is using is 4.75 with an 8" wheel. The front tire size is usually 235/45 or a 245/45. In the rear 17x9.5 with 5.5 or 5.75 backspace. Depending on suspension travel and body lean a 255/45 or a 275/40 rear tire (the 275 is a lot tighter and sometimes there is minor rubbing on the inside over curb cuts or with a load in the car). Do a search on this we beat this to death on a regular basis - there is lots of info. I would strongly suggest you wait till you get the car back together and at ride height before you order tires and wheels. Each car is a little different especially if sheet metal has been replaced - if it has measure both sides. Good luck with your project.

Jack
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 06, 05:08 AM
Senior Tech
John

Using the 17" 309 Series Torque Thrust you only have one option for backspacing.......4-1/2". But if you go with Torque Thrust II's with the painted centers you have a lot of options.

Check out this link.

http://camarotech.com/WheelsAndTires.html

Hope this helps.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 06, 07:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Jack,, one thing I ran into running 245's on 15"wheels was that on bump turns the tire would rub the head lamp bucket shields. This also happened to me when I went to 245/50 x 16's on 4.5 bs. On rear, I could have gone larger and directionals but this would have not allowed me to cross rotate tires. I used the BFG G-force Traction TA. You can view this in my profile id. Hope this helps.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode