Biggest Wheels & Tires for 69 RS CONV. - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 06, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
bbm
Apprentice
Dan

Biggest Wheels & Tires for 69 RS CONV.

I recently bought a 69 RS Convert. Looking for tires and wheels. What's the widest wheel/tire in a 15" and or 17" that will fit without cutting the body. It has a 10 bolt single leaf now,I'm going to install a 12 bolt multi leaf later. (unless someone has a better idea) My friend had a 69 RS Coupe and he thinks his Billet Spec. wheels were 17x9 w/ 5" Backspacing and 245/40/17 or 245/45/17 tires all the way around. It looked good (lowered) but with the Z-rated tires darted around on the rutts in the road.I like the look of the 17's if I could get some in a lesser speed rating that would drive better I would but would rather go 15" and have it drive better on our crappy roads. The car has 15x8 repro. ralleys w/4" bs now and 245/60/15 and they just barely rub occasionally. Any ideas appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 06, 03:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: Biggest Wheels & Tires for 69 RS CONV.

BBM,

On the front if you are looking to go w/ 15" I would go w/ P235/60/R15. I was going to go 15x8 w/ P235's or P 245's but a guy I know said he had 15x8's w/ 245's on his and the barely rubbed like yours does now. He suggested the 15x7's with 235/60's on them. That's what I went with and I decided to put them all the way around.

For what it's worth the conversion for a G60x15 is about a P235/60/R15. I believe F60x15 converts to P 225/60/R15. The 2nd gen's in the late 1970's came with P 225/70/R15 and the early 3rd gen Z's were P 215/65/R15.

As far as the 17" on the rear you should be ok with the sizes you mentioned. Although I have seen some guys try to stuff a Corvette sized P 275/40ZR17 under there. That means you gotta be perfect with backpacing & clearance. Stick with the rear sizes you mentioned.

Make sure you check ALL clearances along with measuring your backspacing.

Here are some helpful tire conversion charts.

http://www.barretire.com/Main/INCHUP.htm

http://www.mopar1.us/tireconversion.html

http://www.turbinecar.com/tires.htm (for you bias ply to radial conversion guys out there)

Good Luck with your 1969!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode