American Racing Trakstar 1-piece front/Trakstar rear 1 12.50%
American Racing Trakstar 3-piece front/Trakstar Rear 1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Drag Race Wheels, Pictures, Opinions?

I'm looking for some opinions on new wheels for a '69. Regardless of style, the wheels will be either 15x8 or 15x10 with ~4.5"-4.75" of backspacing, running a 275/60R15 tire in the rear, and a 15x4 or 15x3.5 with a 165R15 Volkswagon tire in the front. The car is not lowered, in fact, I might use a hair longer shackle to raise it up if need be, but no more than an inch or so. I'll eventually move the shocks inboard for more clearance, and roll the fender lip. Also, I've heard of Stock-class racers having a small, triangle-shaped wedge cut out of the rear fenderwell, then welded back together so that it looks stock. I doubt I'd have to go this far with a 275/60R15 tire, but with a 30x9 or similar-sized slick, I might have to just as a precaution. I'm looking for anyone with any of the following wheel combo's for pictures, sizes, etc. Most importantly, these wheels will be used on the street, with cheap street tires, and I'll have a seperate set of wheels and tires for use with slicks. I know some of the higher end race wheels are not intended for street use, but I'm hearing that this results from manufacturers not wanting to spend the extra money to have these wheels DOT certified. Take, for instance, the Weld Alumastar 2.0 one-piece front wheel. If it can stand up to a landing from a 4ft. wheelstand, then shouldn't it be able to hold up on the street? Any pictures or opinions of these wheels on any first-gen would help (pictures of more common wheels, i.e. TT2, Cragar S/S are readily available):

Front:
Weld Alumastar 2.0 one-piece
Weld Alumastar 2.0 three-piece
Torq-Thrust II
Torq-Thrust D
Weld Rodlite
M/T E.T. Drag
American Racing Trakstar 1-piece
American Racing Trakstar 3-piece
Cragar S/S
Wheel Vintiques Cruzer
Bogart D10

Back:
Weld Alumastar 2.0
Torq-Thrust II
Torq-Thrust D
Weld Rodlite
M/T E.T. Drag
American Racing Trakstar
Cragar S/S
Wheel Vintiques Cruzer
Bogart D10

Matt

1969 Nova
1969 Camaro
1973 Camaro

Follow my '69 Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 01:49 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Drag Race Wheels, Pictures, Opinions?

A wheel stand and a off ramp will give very different loads.

I'm running Weld Prostars 15x5 w/ 3" bs front and 15x8 w/ 4.5" bs rear. The wheels are DOT approved. Now as for tires I have Dunlops 205/65/15 fronts and 285/60/15 SH McCrearys rear (both with DOT stamps) The rear tires are very tight and do rub on hard turns and off camber bumps like turning into a driveway.
I know the Draglites and Prostars are very popular but I do like the Rodlites too
I hope this helped some.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 05:32 PM
Tech Team

You've got mail.

69 RS 408 sb Canfields, Comp. solid cam, TKO, 373's
Best ET: 10.87 122.49 mph with auto. trans.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Aluma Stars

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]115.59

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Draglites

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Convo Pro's

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 08:07 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

All of the wheels I posted are DOT in most sizes. (not all) I tried to keep the pics to 800x600 for dial up I will re-size if it's an issue.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode