Cragar S/S wheels magnesium or aluminum - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Cragar S/S wheels magnesium or aluminum

I am looking at buying a set of 15x7 wheels. The guy says they are Cragars' and magnesium. They have a chrome steel wheel (outer) with a aluminum looking center. They look just like the S/S wheels that are all chrome but have the different center. Does anybody know if Cragar made this type of wheel and weather or not the centers were alum or magnesium. He does have Cragar center caps but they could be off another wheel. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 01:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Cragar S/S wheels magnesium or aluminum

Cragar SS wheels are steel rim and alluminum center, all chromed. I've never seen or heard of them any other way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 01:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Send a message via MSN to Mike_M

Check out this site and see if you see them there: http://www.roadsters.com/wheels/

If they old they might be worth something, especially if they are magnesium.

Mike...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 01:38 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I don't want it to go to his head but Jim's right. You'll like this web site... http://www.roadsters.com/wheels/

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 01:40 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

pinch - poke ya owe me a coke mike...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 03:33 PM

Smile Re: Cragar S/S wheels magnesium or aluminum

Gee Whiz!!!!

What a LINK!!

I like the old ET's that are like the old American T/T''s but had a dark, gun-metal gray on the spokes!

And the old Ansen Sprint "Wire-mags". I bought a new set of (4), 14" x 7" for $48 plus tax that fit our '75 Monza 2+2 AND nothing else!! I had to run something like a 145/14-70 to even fit them on the car.. I forget...

pdq67

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the link. I'm begining to think that maybe the centers are just missing the chrome. They look like dull chrome in the pics i have seen. Whats a good set of 15X7s' worth these days?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech
John

SPB350,

Back in the late '70's I was "given" a set of 15 x 8 Cragar S/S rims that had nearly all the Chrome off the center sections. I am betting that is what you are looking at.

Also if they are the old uni-lug Cragars, forget about them. They are nearly impossible to balance. You can identify them as unilugs if they have egg shaped, obround, lug nut holes.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 09:06 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Uni lugs balance fine, it is the installing that needs a trick or 2
Put the rim on the studs
Use a set of std taper nuts, to 'center' the rims on the hub
Remove one at a time and use the CORRECT NUTS and THE CORRECT crager WASHERS!!!

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 09:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69OlympicGoldSS View Post
Also if they are the old uni-lug Cragars, forget about them. They are nearly impossible to balance. You can identify them as unilugs if they have egg shaped, obround, lug nut holes.
As far as old, they are still sold today. The 14 & 15" new wheels are still unilugs, too, but the 16 & 17"s are not.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 06, 04:27 AM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Uni lugs balance fine, it is the installing that needs a trick or 2
Put the rim on the studs
Use a set of std taper nuts, to 'center' the rims on the hub
Remove one at a time and use the CORRECT NUTS and THE CORRECT crager WASHERS!!!
The problem is the uni-lug Cragar uses the "as cast" surface and a washer to center the wheel. This creates stack up tolerances and no matter how you set them up they are not as good as machined tapered holes with matching machined tapered lug nuts. Since the Cragar S/S also isn't hub-centric, meaning the rim doesn't locate on the machined hub on the brake drum / rotor, the rim ends up not being concentric with the wheel bearings.

The point to all this is if you are buying wheels and have the option to purchase rims that have tapered holes and matching lug nuts they are a superior design. And a rim that is hub-centric is also a superior design to one that isn't.

That is why factory wheels are hub-centric with tapered lug nuts. No muss, no fuss, works every time.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 06, 04:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Being a Cragar fan, I do need to point out again that the currently available 16" and 17" Cragar SS wheels do in fact use a conicle seat lugnut (and a separate part # for each "bolt circle" size.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 06, 02:41 AM

Wink Re: Cragar S/S wheels magnesium or aluminum

Magnesium.com wheels are 20 to 30 percent lighter than forged aluminum
and offer increased safety and performance.

Magnesium.com is also conducting a Best New Wheel Design competition,
and negotiating with several large distributors to establish a joint
machining and finishing facility in the U.S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode