15" 3rd gen z28 wheels on 2nd gen - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 06, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Andrzej aka Andy

15" 3rd gen z28 wheels on 2nd gen

Hi there i currently have chrome steel wheels on my 2nd gen camaro, which are begning to show their age! IE rusting

The tyres are 235-60-15 from memory might be 65 profile but no larger.

They are a bit tight on full lock and unable to go over bumps etc with passengers in the rear without scraping the side wall.

I have recently purchased a nice set of early 3rd gen z28 the 5 spoke gold face type, i have tet fitted them as of yet do not have tyres and wondering what size of tyre I will need to install?

I have looked at the links for correct tyre size etc but the chrome wheels have a lesser offset thus sticking out further in the wheel arch. Where as the z28 rims are some what recessed in the wheel arch!

so do I need wheel spaces to bring out the wheel for a similar tyre size?
Or would 225-55-15 be a better choice?

Cheers
Andy

My camaro will live again!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 06, 06:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mitch

Re: 15" 3rd gen z28 wheels on 2nd gen

The 235-65-15 tire is the stock size and should fit very well on the correct offset Z28 wheel. The reason you have fitment issues with them now is because of the "reverse dish" offset of the chrome weels. If it isn't too costly, have one of your current tires mounted on a Z wheel and test fit. You should be able to go with an even larger footprint than a 235, with the correct offset wheel.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 06, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome to the Club! Portsmouth? England. Nice country southern England.

3rd Gen wheels have different offset (backspacing) so measure the wheel and put the least offset onto the front. This way they won't rub the control arms. I believe also, you'll have to get lug nuts with the 3rd Gen taper and SAE threads.

You may have to get spacers to space the wheels out to prevent rubbing. Longer studs will be needed. Dorman sells a longer stud. You might check www.rockauto.com and see what they have to offer, in both stud and nut.

Good to read from another across the water.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 06, 07:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Welcome to the Club! Portsmouth? England. Nice country southern England.

3rd Gen wheels have different offset (backspacing) so measure the wheel and put the least offset onto the front. This way they won't rub the control arms. I believe also, you'll have to get lug nuts with the 3rd Gen taper and SAE threads.

You may have to get spacers to space the wheels out to prevent rubbing. Longer studs will be needed. Dorman sells a longer stud. You might check www.rockauto.com and see what they have to offer, in both stud and nut.

Good to read from another across the water.
The 15" wheels are all the same offset...it is the 16" wheels that are different.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 06, 06:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

andrzejbubez,

I had a 1984 Z28. The original equipment tire size from the factory on the standard 5 spoke aluminum wheels for 1982-1987 Z28's was P 215/65/R15. This was also used on standard RS Camaro's in 1989 through 1992.

Many people including myself replaced the P 215/65/R15 on a 3rd gen with P 235/60/R15. The 2nd gen Z28's which came equipped with radials in the late 1970's were P225/70/R15. P 215/65/R15 was also used on FWD Cutlass & Grand Prix's from 1988 -about 1992.

GM used P 225/70R15 on the Corvette's, Trans Am's, Z28's and police cars in the late 1970's. The police used that size until 16's came on the scene in the mid to late 1990's.

I have owned 4 Camaro's. Two first gen and two 3rd gen. My other 3rd gen was a 1988 5.7L IROC-Z and those were P245/50/R16's.

Last but not least all four of these cars were bone stock & original when I got them. I also was in the tire & auto game for the entire decade of the 1990's until about 1998. Little did I know then what I know now.

Bottom Line: Measure the back spacing, check clearances. I've seen lots of guys used 3rd gen wheels on 2nd gen cars. This happened mostly betwen 1978-1981. I know the calipers are different in 1979-1981. P 215/65/R15, P 225/70/R15 & even P 235/60/R15 should clear the fenders on a 2nd gen with ease.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 06, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Andrzej aka Andy

I know there is no problem with brake calipers as I have test fitted one wheel upfront as I am currently upgrading to a chevy 350 small block from buick v6 which was originally on the car.

With the current offset on the chrome steel wheels there are ocasions where the 235-65-15s rub on full lock on one side of the innter wheel well.

this is why I believe that placing the existing tyres on the Z28 rims will foul even more and hence the question.

Cheers for the imput as greatfully recieved and good to know that this site is a haven for assistance

Andy

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 06, 02:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Should be no issue to use them on a 2nd gen.

www.nastyz28.com

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 06, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Andrzej aka Andy

I know there is no issue with the actual fitment its just down to tyre choice on the rim.

Going back to the 215-70-15 would this not cause a similar problem with the lack of space in the front wheel wells? ie on full lock with no wheel spacers would rub on the arches?

As per another site the information given for 15" rims is 225-55-15 for the front

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...es/index2.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode