How to roll rear fender wells - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 06, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

How to roll rear fender wells

I have a 69 SS and Ive got new suspention all the way around. New shocks, springs, bushings, the whole nine. All stock replacements tho, nothing is lowered.

What I want to know is what should I do about the rear tires rubbing the slightest little bit on the outside edge. The interfearence is from the lip around the fender well. I tried to roll it back with a wooden bat but it did not work very well. Any sugestions??? I know I'm not the only one with this problem in the past 37 years.

225/60/15 rear tires only rub with more than 2 people in the car or hitting a bump at high speeds 30 mph +

Pleas help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 06, 10:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: How to roll rear fender wells

This is about $249.oo bucks on sale for $224.00 but does work. http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

Kev
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 06, 10:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Use of baseball bat to follow the tire and roll the bead back some is one of my favorite ways to do this. You can use the smaller end if a small amount is needed and work your way 'up' the bat 'till you get the clearance you need.
I keep a bat at the end of the shop right by the door, just for this - that's my story of why it's there and I'm stickin' to it ...
You can also use a soft-faced hammer (and a small block of wood if you want) to work the edge of the inner lip back untill you get the needed clearance.
Just go very slow and work it back a small amount each time - if you go to far on one area you can cause a 'kink' to show the other side.

Hope this helps;
John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 06, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Baseball bat, as Vintage suggested, has always worked.

Or, have the shop replace the qtrs and outer wheelhouses with 68 parts.........

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 06, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpn69 View Post
I have a 69 SS and Ive got new suspention all the way around. New shocks, springs, bushings, the whole nine. All stock replacements tho, nothing is lowered.

What I want to know is what should I do about the rear tires rubbing the slightest little bit on the outside edge. The interfearence is from the lip around the fender well. I tried to roll it back with a wooden bat but it did not work very well. Any sugestions??? I know I'm not the only one with this problem in the past 37 years.

225/60/15 rear tires only rub with more than 2 people in the car or hitting a bump at high speeds 30 mph +

Pleas help
Maybe the wheels are the problem could be you need wheels that have more of an off set. With that size tire it shouldn't rub if the wheels have the correct off set.

(LARRY)

1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 06, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox View Post
Maybe the wheels are the problem could be you need wheels that have more of an off set. With that size tire it shouldn't rub if the wheels have the correct off set.
they are 15x8 corvette rallys
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 06, 04:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'm with redfox.

a 225 tire should fit in any camaro with lots of room to spare. If you measure from the inside edge of the tire to the inner fender, you'll find nearly an inch and a half of wasted space. Corvette rally's half 4" backspace and stick out too far. A monte carlo rally might have more backspace and solve your problem.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 06, 05:44 AM

We trimmed the edge with a die grinder and a Dremel tool to radius the lip to fit around the radius the outside edge of the tire. 275/40/17 on a 17x9 wheel and lowered.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 02:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

Does this bat trick work that well?

Are you just inserting the bat into the wheel well and using the tire for leverage?

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
Use of baseball bat to follow the tire and roll the bead back some is one of my favorite ways to do this. You can use the smaller end if a small amount is needed and work your way 'up' the bat 'till you get the clearance you need.

Just go very slow and work it back a small amount each time - if you go to far on one area you can cause a 'kink' to show the other side.

Hope this helps;
John
Yes it does.

Follow these instructions, start with the handle first and work your way up the taper. Insert the handle, use the car to roll the bat against the tire, forwards & backwards. Slowly work/roll the bat from the handle through the taper to the clearance needed. Repeat for the other side.

You may have to cut the length of the bat to fit/work/roll better.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode