Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 06, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

What tire brand

Hey Guys,
I'm looking for a opinion...
My wife has a 2004 ford taurus(father-in-law is a ford retiree)and she needs a new set of tires.In your opinion what brand/model of tires should I get her.
Now remember we live in michigan,and we get snow and lots of bad weather in the winter!!!
Thanks for your opinion

69 coupe, 350 crate motor/Th350c trans with 2.75 low first gear--2500 lock-up converter
Not a show car, just a part time Driver!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 06, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech
Rex

Re: What tire brand

what price range are you looking for?

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 06, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

the price range is 500.00 ish/set of 4

69 coupe, 350 crate motor/Th350c trans with 2.75 low first gear--2500 lock-up converter
Not a show car, just a part time Driver!!!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 06, 04:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

this time of year, at any given time i can run thru snow, ice, slush, rain and clear conditions in a single day(i love arizona in the winter) . as a traveling salesman type and to the tune of 1000 miles per week, i prefer toyos for handling, all weather conditions and smooth ride. you will spend a little more then $500 for four but, the open countries i'm running now have 70,000+ and still showing good tread! with everything, road hazard and alignment included, 'bout $700 per 4. open countries are available for passenger vehicles but i would check out their complete line first. ihmo.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 06, 05:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

that seeems a buncha bread for a front drive sedan tire...
I just replaced the goodyear eagles on my truck, $799 mounted and balanced, at a chevy dealer! and those are 275-55-20 tires!
The first set went 85,000 miles BTW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 06, 07:06 PM

Smile Re: What tire brand

Please go over to "The Tire Rack" site and check what is on sale as well as check out no other THAN Walmart and their house brand Douglass tires that to me are good value!!

I will say that you should look into what are called high-pressure, low, rolling resistance tires b/s they are out there and are CHEAP!!

They save you gas mileage b/c of their less rolling friction and I'm talking like 3 to 5 percent cost savings here over the long haul IF you keep them inflated every month like they should be ran at!!

My next set are gonna be them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pdq67

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 06, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech

I just bought 4 Falken 512,s for My wifes Honda accord from that place in Arizona $191.00 and free shipping ,and it cost Me $48.00 for mount and balance . They are a great tire .
Mark .

pictures can be viewed at
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 06, 08:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

I think Les Schwab is only in the west, but I buy all my tires there (normal tires). Their service is beyond anything I have ever experienced in auto service and repair.

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 06, 08:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Speaking of Walmart, when I got my Goodyear F1 GSD3's for the vert, they had the best price and got my business. Don't write them off just because, they carry name brand tires, have state of the art mounting and balancing equipment, and at least at that place and time, cared very much about doing good work.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 06, 10:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

For a front wheel drive sedan, Kelly's are fine. Dunlops are good so are Goodyear. I've always liked Toyo's. But they are big money. It's a Taurus not a Ferrari.... Bridgestone's are also good.

Tires are alot more expensive now than they were 2 or 3 years ago.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 06, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
have state of the art mounting and balancing equipment, and at least at that place and time,
Every place has State Of the Art equipment. Only problem is the person operating it and other tools. Knowledge and the tire person are not in the same sentence.

I don't care about brand, I go for the the tire I need to fill the intended purpose.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 06, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech
Rex

Bridgestone SE200. They are excellent, smooth riding tires that have superior wet preformance. They come with a 30 day test drive and three year free replacement against manufacture defects. YOu really have nothing to lose by getting these tires, if you do not like them take them back and try something else.

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 06, 10:05 AM

I have to disagree with alot of the opinions here, I started out working in a shop replacing tires, and I saw the ones that came back the most. I'm a huge fan of michelin, with goodyear a close second. Kumho makes a decent tire, so does dunlop, but tires often are like engines, certain styles/models hold up pretty well irregardless of name brand. I'd stay away from firestone, nitto, toyo has yet to win over my confidence. I've been driving on michelins since I started driving, and I've hardly ever had any problems.

Simple advice - you get what you pay for. I do my research. Michelin stands behind their tires, I'll say that much. I had a bubble in a set of michelin sport tires that they only had available for a short while... when I went to warranty it, they no longer made the tire. So they gave me a whole brand new set of better tires, no questions asked! I'd like to see general or uniroyal do that.

Dunlup SP A2s are good, Michelin Harmony, goodyear futera (although they may be strictly an SUV tire)
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 06, 11:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

IMO, lots of snow means snow tires in winter and regular tires the rest of the year. All 4 corners, regardless of FWD/RWD/AWD.

I've always been a Michelin man. But it all depends on how much you want to spend and what you expect from the tires. I’ve had good & bad experience with most brands. And a tire that is good for me might not be for you, due to driving styles, the car, etc.

Some tires I generally don't like to buy and other comments:

*General/Continental – no way.
*Cheap Firestones – no way
*Tires I have never heard of - I stick to name brands.
*Tires not made in a segmented mold. Look at 'casting flash' on the tread of a new tire - if it runs around the center of the tread, it is from a 'clamshell’ mold. A segmented mold leaves lines that run perpendicular to the tread – like a pizza is cut. Higher quality tires use segmented molds. Less runout issues.
*Goodyears, although from what I hear it appears they have improved some things in the past few years. I used to think they aged very poorly. Tires like the GT+4 used to have lots of tread left on them but were skates on water because the compounding aged poorly – they got hard or something. Tire quality is more compounding than anything else, including tread pattern. I’m still not buying any unless I’m buying high performance hoops.
*I like Bridgestones if you can wear them out. They also seem to age poorly, developing cracks in the tread and sidewall over time (like 4 years). Pirellis too. And neither of those brands like Armour All type silicone based products (no tire does, but these brands seem to like it less). Makes the cracking worse. I’ve seen Pirellis discolor from silicone based products. Rubber isn’t shiny.
*Ignore Consumer Reports.
*Don’t downgrade speed ratings – it isn’t about top speed.
*Buy tires from authorized dealers – makes warranty issues easier.
*Rotate every other oil change (6000) and watch your air pressure!

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 06, 12:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

I completely agree with Bonzo & Prelude.

I also worked on tires and sold them for many years during the 1990's. Uniroyal's were terrible back then. Especially the Tiger Paw Plus and even the XTM. I know, I was selling the XTM. General's were also known for Belt Separation. I laughed at the slogan "sooner or later, you'll own General." We used to say sooner or later you'll loathe General. Or was that repair, replace, warranty etc. General. I know, we also sold Genera's. I never cared for Michelin's. Their sidewalls are very flimsy which makes for what Michelin says is a nice comfortbale ride but their traction is terrible. This was especially true on my wife's minivan before I replaced them with Goodyear's. Michelin during the 1990's was also difficult to deal with. Their attitude was "we don't make a defective tire". You should have seen all the old guys curse Michelin's when they were coming in every winter with rim leaks on their Lincoln's & Cadillacs. I hated working on Michelin tires. I still don't like Michelin to this day. I've never had bad luck with Kelly's, Dunlops, Goodyear's (remember not all Goodyear's are good) and Bridgestone. Note I said Bridgestone, not Firestone. Cheap Firestone's are gargabe. Some of their tire line I sold was pretty good.

Bottom Line: It depends on the purpose of the tire. Most customer's have found that on a Ford Taurus an H speed rated tire will give you the best of all worlds. Good Handling (cornering & braking), Good treadware and good traction even in snow. You don't need V,Z, W or Y rating on a Taurus. T rating may be ok. Pretty much all passegenger car tires sold from the mid 1990's until I left the business in 1998 were at least S rated or higher. Sorry if I havne't kept up on any new technology over the last 8 years or so...

I live by the rotate tires every other oil change (usually 6,000 miles) just like Bonzo said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode